• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Back with partner after bad flare up

I was diagnosed after my partner and I had been broken up, which was super hard. I didn't have any symptoms at the end of our relationship, but I had lost a ton of weight & it was taking a toll on me emotionally. The year that we were apart was the hardest I've ever experienced, especially once I started getting really severe symptoms. Somehow things fell into place & we're back together after our year off, stronger than ever & I couldn't ask for a better advocate for my health. I had a perianal seton put in in November and was terrified to date or sleep with anyone and she made sure that I was okay with everything and does everything she can to make me feel beautiful every day and help me to forget that I've a heinous illness. She researches doctors, foods (we went vegan together three years ago when i had my first flare up but didn't know what it was and it went undiagnosed) that will be easy on me, and keeps me in check emotionally. And to think, we're not even married. :) let's hope that that becomes possible today! That support and love is out there guys; sometimes it's just part of our silly CD journey.

nogutsnoglory

I was diagnosed after my partner and I had been broken up, which was super hard. I didn't have any symptoms at the end of our relationship, but I had lost a ton of weight & it was taking a toll on me emotionally. The year that we were apart was the hardest I've ever experienced, especially once I started getting really severe symptoms. Somehow things fell into place & we're back together after our year off, stronger than ever & I couldn't ask for a better advocate for my health. I had a perianal seton put in in November and was terrified to date or sleep with anyone and she made sure that I was okay with everything and does everything she can to make me feel beautiful every day and help me to forget that I've a heinous illness. She researches doctors, foods (we went vegan together three years ago when i had my first flare up but didn't know what it was and it went undiagnosed) that will be easy on me, and keeps me in check emotionally. And to think, we're not even married. :) let's hope that that becomes possible today! That support and love is out there guys; sometimes it's just part of our silly CD journey.
I'm glad you guys got back together, it sounds like she is a great partner who really cares about you. Do you think your symptoms may have gotten worse due to the break up? After my break up I went into a really bad flare and wonder if stress and the lack of affection I had was a possible factor.

I really do think that's why my symptoms got so bad! In eastern medicine, they say you hold your grief/sadness/loneliness in your digestive tract (mainly small & large intestine) and your lungs. I read that and found it very eerie since I started getting better after we started working things out!

nogutsnoglory

Is that an Ayuverdic philosophy or something else? Are you in remission now? I would love to eat more vegan food but fruits and veggies don't mix with my strictures.

I haven't completely researched it (since it started to freak me out a little ha ha) but the idea is more out of traditional Chinese medicine. I think Ayurvedic is more Indian based? Chakras and all of that.Regardless, chinese medicine takes some teachings from it so i'm sure it's all connected. In Chinese medicine, the belief is that organs not only have a physical manifestation but also an emotional or mental one. Usually a disease or ailment of sorts results from some sort of unresolved or repressed emotion or what have you, basically something that's festered and become toxic to you mentally and as a result obviously affects you physically. It kind of makes sense I guess?

I haven't had a confirmed remission yet---i haven't even hit my full year of diagnosis yet. I've had issues my whole life but I suppose if you look at my typical dysfunctional american childhood, Chinese medicine makes a lot of sense ;p I'm fairly symptom free with just a little C recently. Seeing my surgeon to hopefully get my seton removed Thursday!

nogutsnoglory

How did your removal go with the surgeon?

I definitely believe in the gut/brain connection and think there is increasing attention by Western doctors at the relationship between the two. They already know stress plays a role in IBD. The question is how much of a role is it playing and what is it that's causing it? Is it the increased cortisol? If you ever come across that piece again id be very interested in reading it.