• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bad experience

I'd like to share my experience

I had a flexible sigmoidscopy the other day, the doctors said it's not a painful procedure just slightly uncomfortable!

But omg I'd rather give birth again then go through that pain

is it just me, or has anyone else thought the same, I dread to think what a colonoscopy is like

I have not had a sigmoidoscopy but I have had a colonoscopy and I do fine as long as I am completely sedated. I am sorry for what you had to go through.

Agree with Ron -- never had problem with colonoscopy -- but I am out for the whole process. Sorry you went through this...

I first had a colonoscopy, with sedation and pain relief, neither of which helped in the slightest. It was excruciating and is down on my notes to be done under a GA if I ever need another.
I then had a flexi sig with no sedatin or pain relief. No problems at all, no pain, easy peasy.
Had my second flexi, expecting it to be like the first. But it wasn't. It was very, very painful, not just uncomfortable. I also had a lot of trouble expelling the air which was used during the procedure, took ages for it to pass through.
I've been told that each one of these procedures can be different for the same person, some good and painless, others completely the opposite.
So no, you're not alone. Unfortunately these procedures are necessary.
Bunty x

I first had a colonoscopy, with sedation and pain relief, neither of which helped in the slightest. It was excruciating and is down on my notes to be done under a GA if I ever need another.
I then had a flexi sig with no sedatin or pain relief. No problems at all, no pain, easy peasy.
Had my second flexi, expecting it to be like the first. But it wasn't. It was very, very painful, not just uncomfortable. I also had a lot of trouble expelling the air which was used during the procedure, took ages for it to pass through.
I've been told that each one of these procedures can be different for the same person, some good and painless, others completely the opposite.
So no, you're not alone. Unfortunately these procedures are necessary.
Bunty x
Thanks for your comments, I'm having the same problem, I had mine done 2 days ago and I'm getting horrible gas pains, and bowel keeps making loud rumbling cause of it lol, I don't think it helped that I suffer bad aniexty and when hearing my heart on the monitor I might of tensed up a little, probably didn't help as your supposed to stay relaxed , gas and air didn't help much either, hopefully if I have another one it won't be as bad then, fingers crossed x

I'm sorry that it was painful for you, it usually isn't, even when a colonoscopy would be. I've had 3 colonoscopies and only the first one was painful. That doc just didn't put me under as deeply and I remember most of it, unlike with the second doc who did the other two. Could you ask to be more heavily sedated?

I'm sorry that it was painful for you, it usually isn't, even when a colonoscopy would be. I've had 3 colonoscopies and only the first one was painful. That doc just didn't put me under as deeply and I remember most of it, unlike with the second doc who did the other two. Could you ask to be more heavily sedated?
if I have to have a colonoscopy then hopefully they can heavily sedate me, but cause it was just a flexible sigmoid scope they said they don't do sedation just gas and air for that procedure

We're all individuals and for whatever reason, that doesn't seem to be a good test for you. I can honestly say that for me a colonoscopy is merely a nice nap. Only the prep is annoying.