• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bad Nausea

Hi Everyone,

I've recently (last 4 days) been having really bad nausea. Im struggling to keep down any food , and haven't really eaten much for 4 days either (about 1 bowl of cereal a day) This morning i had some water and couldn't even keep that down and vomited all over the driveway. So i've took a sick day off work which im pretty sure im going to be in a lot of trouble for. I've left a message for my GI but he can sometimes take a little while to get back to me. Im currently taking 6mp (75mg) and im also taking cyclizine for the nausea but it's not working. Im just wondering if anyone else has this problem ? Is it maybe the 6mp ? Is there anything i can do to stop it ?

Sorry for posting again but having a meltdown, GI just got back in touch with me. He's put me down to 25mg of 6MP and is arranging for me to have an injection, i think he said Infliximab. Im really scared , i know i shouldn't read about side affects as i am a very bad worrier but it's really scared me. Is Remicade a long term drug ? im so confused , their calling me back with an appointment this afternoon. Im sure he said Infliximab but now im doubting myself , i don't think i need it , i don't feel that ill.

Hey there,
If you've only just started 6-mp then it could well be the culprit. Cutting the dose is a good idea for the moment. Wait til you see the G.I and chat with him. He will likely at least do a scan to see what's going on. Remicade would be a good drug for you if the 6-mp is causing problems, but you need to wait a few days and see. Take it slow and easy - things may settle on their own and you can have time to think things through properly. Not sure what they use for nausea from 6-mp but there will definitely be help for you other than cyclizine - perhaps zofran, or even a stomach acid lowering drug - ask your G.I.
Hope you can manage to get some peace...

Thanks for the reply, my GI thinks it's the culprit too. I spoke to my GP and he's prescribed me a new anti sickness tablet so gonna pick it up tomorrow. Just a little scared about the remicade after reading about it. Guess it's gotta be done though, Just hope this one works. Thanks again

Ian

Hey Joleen,

I've been on 75mg of 6MP for about a year (just went up to 100mg the other day), and I had nausea in the beginning. It's a very common symptom and usually subsides once your body has adjusted to it. Then again yours sounds much worse than mine, it was only mild and eating actually made it go away (I was annoyed, I already get fat on Pred and then this drug had me eating all the time too lol). So a smaller dose is probably a good thing for you but definitely work to slowly increasing it again as your body adjusts because 25mg is unlikely to be enough long term.

As for the Infliximab, try not to be too worried. It can have some pretty scary side effects but these tend to be rare. Most people, myself included, do just fine on it :). However I'd check with your doctor what the long term plan is because you DON'T want to take it just a few times. If you're going to start it, it's ideal to STAY on it because it often proves to be ineffective (or causes a reaction) when re-introduced to the body after a long gap between doses. I had 3 infusions last year and because I was in remission it was stopped. I didn't know about the risk of developing the antibodies that render the drug ineffective if you stop taking it. I don't think the drug will work for me if/when I try it again in the future, which is really annoying as it's probably the most effective drug on the market for Crohns right now. I'd hate to see it wasted on you like it was on me! On the plus side, you're already taking 6MP and I hear this helps to prevent the development of the antibodies.

Good luck, hope you're feeling great by the wedding!

Hi Joleen,

sorry you're feeling so horrible chick...as you know I'm still new to all this but my take on all these meds are that you're not going to know until you try....the aza sounds like it's making you feel horrible with the joint pains and nausea so maybe the remicade will agree with you better? Wont know till you try? Hope you feel better soon and get this all sorted for your wedding!! Let us know how you go xx

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Bleech! I'm sorry Joleen! Nausea and vomiting have to be the ugliest sensations. I absolutely HATE both! Unfortunately with where my CD is located I get nausea quite often. Have you tried Zofran (Ondansetron- spelling?). Along with ginger tables, it works wonders for me. If I get put on Flagyl, I have to take Zofran, or I'll be puking my guts out.

Here's a hug for you. Hopefully you're feeling less green.:hug:

Thanks eyeryone.

Still being sick (Silver lining : may lose a few pounds before the wedding lol)

Ian : thanks for the info - i'll deffo mention it to my GI , nice to hear you did well on it too, little less freaked out. I really shouldn't read the side affects (my imagination runs away with me lol) My face has only just got back to normal from the Pred, GI wants to put me back on it for these joint pains but im kinda refusing (at least until after the wedding) The Aza gave me nausea but nothing like this, only started the smaller dose yesterday , so gonna see how it goes. got my first infusion next week , so fingers are crossed :)
Soretum : Yeah i've gotta give it a go like ya said , the Aza worked amazing for my crohns , it was just the joint pains were so bad , there getting better now but crohns is getting worse again, Just hope this one works, It sounds like it will , so feeling positive :)
Andi Girl : I hate being sick ( it makes me cry - such a wimp lol) I'll mention the Zofran to my GI , using Cyclizine but it's a bit useless , used to work really well but stopped being as effective now. Maybe just need to try something new :)

Only 6 weeks or so till my wedding now , so gotta get well , can't be throwing up during my vows now can i lol :)