• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bad rectal pain after bathroom... Going to doctor

A year ago I was diagnosed with crohns and since then I have been taking asacol, which has been excellent for treating the diarrhea and nausea that I had daily.

But... Since last year when I was diagnosed and given asacol, I developed a severe rectal pain that only comes after taking a dump. I go only once normally these days (10-15 before asacol) and I am in 6 hours of hellish pain after going to the bathroom.

I have fought this for a year now and finally gave up and going back to the doc. I do not know what to do or what they will suggest. I was on cipro/flagyl 2 months and no help back a year ago.

If I look at my butt, it has finger like things coming around the anus and then there are these extremely HARD pieces of skin filled with infection/blood an inch to the side of my anus.

Could asacol be causing this pain? Should I consider humira maybe I have a fistula(s)? Suggestions?

ALSO EDIT:

I bleed maybe twice a week for the past year from my anus...

Sorry you are dealing with this. The finger things sound like skin tags. The hard blood filled things are likely hemmorhoids. hemmorhoids are veins that when they get inflammed, they swell up and fill with blood. Preporation H or topical cortizone can help with that. I would have your doc take a look though if it is causing that much pain. Hope you feel better soon.

Go see your doctor. Ask to see a colo-rectal surgeon. For the first time ever I had an anal fissure and an infection. I have never known so much pain. I stopped eating just so I could reduce the number of times I went to the toilet.

The surgeon diagnosed skin tags and a small fistula and infection. I was in so much pain I couldn't tolerated a proper exam. The following morning I had a procedure under light anesthesia to examine, clean out the infection, and in this case remove the skin tag that was very infected. The surgeon did not touch the remaining tags.

I know the pain you are feeling. Please see someone soon. The surgery was easy, recovery ok (still had pain with BM for another 1.5 weeks) but the pain is nearly gone now, three weeks later. I am sorry you are feeling so bad.. Good luck!

Sounds like hemorrhoids to me, I had one it was so beyond painful I told my GI there was no way on earth he was giving me a rectal exam, I could not even sit! So he treated me as though it was either hemorrhoids or an abscess he gave me some steroid suppositories which I think you can also buy over the counter and they worked within days! I went for a scope a couple of weeks later with confirmed a hemorrhoid and I still get bad pain and blood now but at least I know what is wrong and how to treat!

I went and was told that I would need to have the fistula drained and a seton put in.

Anyone know what a seton is like? Is there a hospital stay required? How is the recovery?

I can't help you much. I had a small abscess and fistula drained under anesthesia in an outpatient surgical center. I didn't have an overnight stay, but it did take about 2 weeks for the pain to subside. I know others here have needed a seton, so hopefully someone will chime in soon. Good luck!

I have had a seton for over a year. No hospital stay for the placement and it only hurt bad for a few days after. How bad the pain is and how long it hurts will be related to what else they have to do, debride the fistula drain an abscess etc.

Hi I hope you have seen your doctor and got this sorted. It sounds like a fussure to me, I have one and initially the pain made me cry at times and the pain and throbbing went on for hours after. I had Botox yesterday after other treatments didn't heal it. Please get referred to a colorectal surgeon, the treatments do help with the symptoms. Using Vaseline between bms helps a little too. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better since your post x

Since the post I started another thread actually. Ended up being 3 fistulas and got setons and now on humira. Not any better yet, but maybe in a few weeks when humira starts up

Go to your Dr.now.The same thing happened to me and it was cancer.DO NOT WAIT.By the time I went to my Dr.and a colo-rectal surgeon the cancer was almost to stage 3.I am not trying to scare you but please go have it checked as soon as possible.