• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Balancing Calprotectin

Dear Friends
I know calprotectin measures the inflammation of gut but what makes it go out of range so fast ? How do we get the range back to normal with which diet , medications , vitamins, etc ? Share your experiences or thoughts. Thanks.

Hi Ozman
The calprotectin is generally a good indicator that you have some damage to your intestines. Although some people do have damage and still normal calprotectin values.

In your case does the calprotectin level relate to your symptoms, do you have higher values when you are not feeling good?

I suppose the goal is to get your inflammation under control as you already wrote with medication, diet, changes in lifestyle (more sleep, less stress). Ultimately the calprotectin is an indicator, and the only way to check that everything is OK is by doing the usual scopes and/or scans to be sure.

I would be interested to know if there are doctors that change treatment based on calprotectin alone, or if the calprotectin is high then they insist on more tests before making any decisions about patient care.