• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Balloon bags

hey,has anyone got any tips or tricks to stop stoma bags from turning into sh** balloons??I was told to take a small pin and prick a wee hole up near the filter at the top of the bag but i would have thought these bags already had a blow off valve or whatever to let air out no??

thanks

Craig

PsychoJane

Well, my tips for that is to use the 2 pieces systems.
I guess it can be annoying but I prefer it in part because I don't have to care about the filter being clogged. Let say they work the first day and not for the rest of the time so having the 2 pieces systems let you at the least go to the bathroom to pop your bag without having to empty it if you are in a rush and just annoyed by the gases.

In my experience, the filters work better when they are new. So if I'm going out for the evening, I'll put a new bag on. Like Jane said, two piece systems are best for excess air. I literally just pull the top of the bag of the base a little to let the air out. I do it while I'm half asleep in the middle of the night too. Needless to say, only open from the part of bag that's facing upwards if you're laying on your side. Also it's not safe to do so when your bag is very full.. I've come short on that one a few times!

I wouldn't risk making a pin hole incase of leaking during sleep.There is a company somewhere which does a stick in filter thing that looks a bit like the thing on a rubber ring that you blow into. I've not bought any though!

Hi Craig,

I have found that the pin prick method just ends up making smells, the filter doesn't let a lot of air through, but what it does let through is successfully deodorised.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do other than using the two piece clip systems, you can open it up momentarily to release the pressure then close it again but be ready for a bit of a whiff (best to do it outside or in the bathroom).

I often wake up to a bulging balloon during the night. I've just gotten used to it. One thing which does help is to avoid fizzy drinks and beer as much as possible.

Glad to hear you got your surgery over and done with. Hopefully you can get on your bike soon!

I've had success with my bag that has a filter. I wear a one piece. I had been using a two piece and found that I needed to burp it a lot. I just make sure I tape the filter before getting in the shower to prevent it from clogging. I love it :)

I wear a two piece.
I unclip the top and let the air out.
I make sure I'm standing or sitting up.
I've come to grief doing this when in a reclined state.

It doesn't smell great either.
I managed to clear a crowded city corner on a busy Sat night when discreetly burping my bag.
Disgusting - but hilarious.

annawato

Staff member
I wear a two piece.
I unclip the top and let the air out.
I make sure I'm standing or sitting up.
I've come to grief doing this when in a reclined state.

It doesn't smell great either.
I managed to clear a crowded city corner on a busy Sat night when discreetly burping my bag.
Disgusting - but hilarious.
:rof::rof::rof:

Ginger what is the name of the bag you use? I love mine but do suffer from a blocked filter after the first day.
I generally try to avoid the gas producing foods - broccoli, cauliflower, fizzy drinks etc but we seem to have onions in just about everything we cook so I dont have a lot of success.
I'm sure you're all familiar with that waking up and wondering how the bag hasn't just flown off............or levitated you to the ceiling. And then when you rush to the toilet (holding that bag for dear life) it comes rushing out and ends up everywhere except in the loo. :ybatty:

A word of warning for ileosta's with liquid output - burping the bag could be very dangerous - i know Susan had a disaster one night in bed. Colosta's with more solid waste should have more success.

I use one from hollister #8331. I make sure I put a piece of tape over the vent when I shower...it has blocks a few times, but that's generally a sign for me to change the bag.

I use the coloplast sensura and lucky if i get a day before the filter is done,ive just got to the stage thats how its going to be,dont even eat any veg,fizzy juice or stuff that i was told not to,must just be a gas bag haha
I also prefer the coloured bags rather than the clear ones,not as nasty to look at or he kids dont get freaked out...

The clear bag did take some getting used to, but I got over it quickly once I saw how well the vent worked! I hated having to burp the bag with the two piece system I used before. :)

annawato

Staff member
i was reading an article yesterday that said gas is produced by good bacteria in the bowel digesting soluble fibre (in particular) which is why beans gives gas so not sure why broccoli etc does. And doesn't explain why people eating the same diet have different levels of gas. ie my husband and me. I know when I have been on lots of different antibiotics for a long time I do get hardly any gas.
Hainman you must just have loads of the good bacteria in your system. and thats a good thing. :). But just being a gas bag sounds better. :)

cheers Annawoto,im sure my wife would agree im a gasbag lol
i'll just need to deal with it,might see if the clear bags work better if the vent is less covered up but until the little one is comfortable with it i'll stick with the opaque ones for now,

annawato

Staff member
Yes that sounds like a wise decision. I wear ones that you can see into through a slit in the fabric but otherwise you are covered. But I wouldn't recommend them for ballooning, just curiosity about whats happening under there. :)
The other thing you could do is use the clear ones but wear one of those covers that go over them. I think there is a link for them on the stomawise website. The clear ones I used in hospital were terribly noisy, rustling with every movement - but maybe they were the cheapest option available.

is that the coloplast sensura ones?you can stick the bottom of the bag at the drainer to the wee slit in the middle where you can peek in....

Are you able to take gas-x? It works wonders for me and I really notice it if I don't take it. I either take one ultra in the am and the other at 4 pm or use the chewable regulars with meals.

I also find that Devrom, the chewable internal deodorizer, helps keep me from forming a lot of gas.

maria

I love you God.
Only thing for that is burp it. I would hold my end of bag straight up nice and tight and open small area to let air out so everything doesn't splash out.. always felt such a relief. Not sure if its jsut me but when my bag was full of. Air I couldn't breath very well.

annawato

Staff member
is that the coloplast sensura ones?you can stick the bottom of the bag at the drainer to the wee slit in the middle where you can peek in....
No they're Welland Flair active convex. You can tuck the bottom bit up though.

You can try the osto eze vent. They can send you samples. I tried but didn't like it. When you stick them on they need to dry for 24 hrs which i didn't do and it leaked