• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Barium making flare worse?

I went in on thursday and had an upper gi and small bowel follow through. I was previously feeling a little better on 40mg of prednisone, until after the scan. Since then I have been in horrible pain. Has anyone else had a worsening of a flare caused by the barium?

I did but I was in the hosp but what on pain meds. Why they send a person throwing up down for that barium is beyond me! All that was missing was my head didnt spin all the way around. For me it was worth having 5 people watch me throwing up as thats how they found this flare up!! I think the barium is hard to process and drinking ALOT of water helps it to get out faster and not turn to stone! If you had an area of narrowing it could be having a hard time moving through or messing with you on the way out!

I just had the same tests done and it messed up my stomach:shifty:. I didn't really have a flare though.

This is my second barium this month! I had my first via CT scan in the ER, was also puking! They had to give me IV zofran and morphine so I could even get the stuff down. This one was a planned scan because they saw nothing on my colonoscopy (my crohns is in my small intestines for now;so no big surprise there). My scan was on Wednesday and the pain level has gotten progressively worse. Today I am puking from the pain, I called the doctor and they told me to just take pain meds until I see them on Tuesday. I have no idea if I have any narrowing, as all they said was the scan confirmed the ccrohns diagnosis and they would go over the results on Tuesday!

My UGI showed narroing in the terminal illium. The radiologist said the week of IV steroids would have really reduced the swelling- so for him to see it meant it had to be signifcant swelling. My GI agreed but then kinda back peddling- maybe it is maybe not! Soon I will end up in a psych ward. I respond to the Crohns meds the radiologist showed the dr and I the narrowing. Whats the big deal??

I understand how you feel, I had possible crohns, then didnt, now I do again. I have been on steroids for over a month now and apparently they can still see the swelling on the xrays. Who knows what the heck they are going to have me do next. At this point I am about to say "No more tests, you saw the crohns twice now on scans lets treat it already!" kus this limbo stuff is insane, and the pain is outrageous.
On the CT scan a month ago they said I had extreme swelling of the illeum and terminal illeum, free floating fluid, inflammation of the stomach cavity, and inflammation of the fatty tissues. you would think they would have done something then right? who knows what they saw on the SBFT scan, I hope it is less than what they saw on the CT.

Persistance pays off.

My crohns showed up on a CT scan first and my doctor wouldn't look at it. So annoying. Then I went downhill really fast (this was two years ago). Anyhow, just keep bugging the doctors as much as you can.

I dont understand why they have to run 3 oter test to see what they saw in the first scan! I mean besides to torture me and make me think i am crazy. I am going to bully the crap out of that doctor tomorrow. Enough weve seen it twice, lets get it into remission as quickly as possible.

Yeah. That's ridiculous. I just don't get it. They wait too too long unless they are trying to rule out other conditions. I had this really bad double-over pain on and off 3 years before my official diagnosis and the ER doctors just said I had 'mild' IBS. Then it went away for a year. I'm sure it would have never showed up on a colonoscopy or even a CT scan during that time. Strange pain like that really makes you wonder. Crohn's doesn't always show up right away. I think its good that you're proactive.

Have they tested your C-reactive protein?