• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Barium or Colonoscopy Prep?

I just finished my second bottle of Vanilla flavored barium for my CT scan. I think I would by far take the Colonoscopy prep any day over the barium! Yuck!

The last contrast CT I had done they gave some stuff that was like fruity water, it was tolerable even though I still ended up throwing most of it up.

Which would you rather drink?

Ever since it took me over a month to get rid of that thick barium from an upper GI series I have asked for the contrast they mix with fruit juice. It's what they use for emergent CT scans, and I remain forever grateful to the tech that told me I could use it. To top it off, I am frequntly nauseated (aren't we always, when in a flare?) and the thick stuff is practically impossible under those conditions. Good luck!

Last edited:
Ever since it took me over a month to get rid of that thick barium from an upper GI series I have asked for the contrast they mix with fruit juice. It's what they use for emergent CT scans, and I remain forever grateful to the tech that told me I could use it. To top of off, I am frequntly nauseated (aren't we always, when in a flare?) and the thick stuff is practically impossible under those conditions. Good luck!
The fruit flavored stuff was what they had given me the day I had my surgery. I would have gladly taken that again. The "vanilla milkshake" was thick and sat very heavy! By the time I was to the end of the second bottle I was gagging with every sip. When I got to the hospital the x-ray tech handed me a glass of lemon lime soda with some iodine in it and asked me if I could drink it. I laughed at him. Apologized after I laughed but said no way. I was having all to do to keep the barium in.

I don't think I'll have an issue with it sticking with me for long... enough said!

Thanks Jabee!