• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Beau's lines!

BEAU'S LINES!

Anyone have noticed these lines in their nails? I have small lines in both my thumb nails and also more prominent ridges in my big toe nails.
Apparently they are associated with malnutrition and all kinds of different disease.
Confusing??? All of my blood tests have come back normal and I am not losing weight??
Anyone else have noticed these lines/ridges in their nails?

Last edited:

cmack

Staff member
Glockola,

I have small ridges that run the length of my nails and some smaller ones on my one thumb that go width wise. Hmmmm.

Regards,

cmack

Last edited:

cmack

Staff member
Glockola,

I just looked it up, mine aren't very prominent and only the one thumb has minor ridges. I have had Beau's lines before years ago, I remember them on my fingers, thinking back that must be what they were. I was eating a poor diet, stressed and on many medications at the time so maybe those factors played a role.

I hope it is nothing serious bud,

cmack

Must admit that I just looked it up too. I get them on my right big toe. For ever and a day I have had a patch of discoloured skin at the nail bed, and the skin flakes or peels periodically. That seems to be the cause of the ones I get.

cmack

Staff member
I have had worse on the toe side than on the fingers for sure. I have one thumbnail right now that is ridged, not a lot, but enough to notice. The other one is fine. ??

yes. my left big toe gets them occasionally for years. I asked the dermatologist about it and she said it was indicative of something else going on in the body (i.e., Crohn's). I haven't gotten them in awhile so I think my disease is more under control, although my albumin still fluctuates quite a bit - at least I am not anemic or low on iron anymore.

I did notice that I am getting more toenails infected with fungus. I used to just have one- that same left big toe. But now I have 3! I think it may have to do with all the Remicade and Cellcept I am on now. I am seeing the dermatologist next week so I will ask her what she thinks.

I have them on every fingernail. I have them slightly on my big toenails. I have had them longer than ive had crohns, well longer than i knew i had crohns symptoms anyway.