• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bed rest

I haven't been put on bed rest, but I would be interested if any one had that experience. Have you been put on bed rest?

Mapper

I was put on short term disability for 3 and a half weeks when I was pregnant. It was a combination of a Crohn's flare and hyperemisis. Then at the end of the pregnancy I was put on bed rest for pre-eclampsia. Fortunately, I wasn't put in the hospital, I was allowed to stay at home for my bed rest.

Have you been put on bed rest? Or just restricted activity?

No, I haven't been put on bed rest yet. I am thinking it's a good idea, and the doctors are throwing it around, but thus far, nothing as been done. I was just wondering if Crohn's is something they would do that for. I am losing a lot of weight and get sick every time I move. Or so it feels, lol.

If I recall, and this was about 8 years ago so I could be remembering wrong, it is vomiting more than 5 times a day most days. I was vomiting about 15 times per day. I was also flaring, so I had lost about 20 pounds when they put me on a PICC line so I could do IV fluids at home 3 times per day.

I've been put on absolute strict bed rest twice in my life, neither from Crohn's though, and obviously not while pregnant. The first was from a DVT/Thrombophlebitis and the second just from Thrombophlebitis. Oddly enough bedrest causes DVT's. But I will say this.... it absolutely blows, especially if it's 100%, no bathroom, no bathing, no anything. I wouldn't go on it unless absolutely necessary, there are a lot of health risks with strict bedrest, and you get fun shots in the stomach twice daily that bruise badly.

Hey there I was on bed rest with both my munchkins. They both tried to come early so with my eldest I was on bed rest the last six weeks and with the youngest for 12 weeks. It blows but I managed to carry them both almost to term (2 weeks early and 4 weeks early).

I was put on bed-rest for the last month of my pregnancy (carried to term) but it wasn't for Crohns. I had high blood pressure that was controlled with bed-rest. It made the last month drag on but from what I hear that is pretty normal. They only hospitalize you if bed rest at home doesn't control the blood pressure.

I've heard that if you are flaring when you find out your pregnant, you will flair the whole time you are preggo. Is this true??

I have the constipation Crohn's. I am losing weight and it's now been over a week since my last BM. I have a history of obstructions, and I think that's why they're wanting me in a more controlled situation. I forget to eat...I know I am pregnant, but this all happened my first pregnancy. I am just not wanting the baby is be in harms way.

I have heard that too; in my experience, pregnancy seems to bring on the flare! But what I've read, most people do wonderfully during pregnancy!

I had constipation when I was pregnant but that is a normal pregnancy thing. I did not have flare ups. They had me taking benefiber 2x per day, colace 3 times per day and magnesium citrate if I didn't have a BM for two days to prevent a blockage. Do check if this is ok with your OB, though. Some people do and some go into remission when they are pregnant.

Well, my OB called this afternoon, and I am now sitting in a hospital bed. They are trying to get me to have a BM, and they want to make sure there's not blood. I have never had blood in my stool, so not sure why they're looking now. Anyways, the GI at the hospital doesn't think I am obstructed, which should be good, but I now feel really silly! I am missing a lot this weekend being here for constipation! Arg!