• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Been on Lialda for 3 days. Can I just stop or do I have to taper off?

During my recent bad flare-up, my GI doctor asked me to try Lialda (3 pills in the AM), which I started on Thursday morning. I now literally feel 10x worse since starting this stuff! I've developed horrible cramping/bloating, gas, and even worse constipation. My stomach is constantly upset and I can barely put any food in it without making it feel worse. Prior to this, I've just been on Azathioprine (175mg's a day) and Prednisone (40mg's a day) with no issues. I'm positive the Lialda is making me feel this way.

So, since I've only been on it for a few days, can I just stop taking it??? It's a newer Mesalamine drug (similar to Asacol). Or do I need to taper down? Since I've stopped Asacol cold turkey in the past without any issues, I'm guessing I can do the same...

Thank you!

Mike

Last edited:
@ Mike - Lialda is a time release 5MP and I develop an adverse reaction to it and stopped taking it cold turkey and I was fine but you should ask your Dr