• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Beer?

I found out I had the disease about 4 yrs. ago. I probably had it for 10 yrs. prior but ignored most symptoms. Dr. said I am moderate/severe and prescribes azathioprine @ 4 tablets a day. Hopefully your advice will make Crohn's more tolerable. I quit smoking totally 4 days ago. I drank a 6 pk of beer last week and it may be my last beer. I suffered the next two days, so my assumption is the beer caused a reaction.

nogutsnoglory

Aza and alcohol in excess increases liver problems. Generally crohnies don't handle alcohol well even if their meds don't interact with it.

I have sipped serval brands a 2 or 3 small sips. each one will mess my stomach up within 30 min. I can however handle a small glass of bourbon. I dont drink often but have heard to try non wheat beers. from what ive read online even if you dont have a wheat allergy it can affect you. maybe someone with more experience will know more.

:ywow::ywow:I guess I will have to drop beer from my lifestyle. I don't drink like I did 25yr.s ago but I don't need a dead liver either. It makes me smoke anyway. 4days and no cigs, not an easy task, but easier on chantax. I remember reading the pamphlets and they mentioned smoking but not beer.

Congrats on 4 days im 3 months 2 days smoke free. I quit once my flare began and I was getting screened for cancer anc crohns and uc. I figured it was time anyway.once I gound out I had crohns and colitis I promised my kid I would stay smoke free. I still crave after a meal or driving but it lessens as time goes on