• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Being one of the vulnerable 1.5m in UK

Hi just a quick query folks. As a sufferer with Crohns in England I am not sure if I would be classed as ONE of the vulnerable who have to isolate for twelve weeks?

I am on an immunosuppressant called 6-Mercaptopurine and take 50mg of it once daily. I am also asthmatic using a steroid inhaler. It’s just that I’ve not yet received the letter or text from the Government asking me to isolate for twelve weeks.

Just wondered if you think this vulnerable category applies to me?

Thanks

emmaaaargh

Staff member
The British Society of Gastroenterology has issued a statement on azathioprine/6-mp here. Also, there's a risk grid for IBD patients as a whole here (also by the BSG) so you can check which category you fall into there. Hope this helps!

The British Society of Gastroenterology has issued a statement on azathioprine/6-mp here. Also, there's a risk grid for IBD patients as a whole here (also by the BSG) so you can check which category you fall into there. Hope this helps!
Thanks for that. This is what I received via SMS:

we have identified that you're someone at high risk of severe complications if you catch Coronavirus. Please remain at home for a minimum of 12 weeks. Home is the safest place for you. Staying in helps you stay well, and that will help the NHS too. You can open a window but do not leave your home and stay 3 steps away from others indoors.
That was slightly alarming. I don't see how I am at high risk, and I'm not the NHS's problem anyway.

scottsma

My husband has had those txts,at least 5 per day.He had cancer treatment last summer,chemo and radiotherapy.
I'm a crohnie but am only taking 10 Mezaline tabs daily and don't consider myself at risk,except that if I do catch Covid19 I will be a risk to my husband.Stay safe everyone.