• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Being told I should take FMLA leave.

I am an auditor for the State of Utah. I do payroll audits on companies paying state unemployment tax. It is coming on performance review time. For the last performance year I have turned in 81 audits, which is 21 more than the minimum for passing. I also have investigations I need to do and I had 4 investigations that were of minimal importance that have been turned in late in the last year. Because of this, yesterday I was called into a meeting with my Manager's Boss. My Supervisor was there, but my manager was not. Her boss was.

I was told that my performance is in question and that he wanted to know why I am having this trouble!. I told him it was due to my Crohn's flaring for the last 6-8 months that I have not been able to keep up, so I concentrated on the most important matters in my job and let the least important matter slip. After telling him what my Crohn filled days are like, he told me I must apply for FMLA. (Family and Medical Leave Act). I just got my 30 years in, but I am only 53 years old so I am not ready for retirement. I think that upper management is trying to force me out.

The only problem is that I need my job for insurance purposes. My wife and I both have major medical issues. She has pulmonary hypertension, epilepsy, narcolepsy, and other medical issues. She is on medicare for second coverage. Medicare would become her primary. But I would not have coverage and I am on Entyvio, a high priced biologic.

I can't believe I am getting treated like this after 30 years. It is totally unreasonable. Today I started the process for FMLA, but I think they are really trying to get me out of here because I get paid too much.

my little penguin

Staff member
Fmla is not a punishment
It means your actually protected more .
I have used it for many years to care for my kiddo with Crohns.
This allows you to work but miss work for appointments or flare ups without penalty .

Best of luck

Trysha

Staff member
Sorry to hear this Doug...but it may not all be bad if you are able to continue working as The post by my little penguin 🐧 suggests.....worth looking into..

Fmla is not a punishment
It means your actually protected more .
I have used it for many years to care for my kiddo with Crohns.
This allows you to work but miss work for appointments or flare ups without penalty .

Best of luck
This is me, too. I have intermittent FLMA leave going on 2nd year to allow me to take care of my kids. A good friend in HR insisted I get it (even though our sick leave policy is great for families and I didn't "need it"). She wanted to make sure I had the extra protection. I'm very glad I have it.

On intermittent leave, I only use a few hours here and there, but enough to help. You may want to ask about that rather than full weeks - which doesn't seem like you may need.

Good Luck!

my little penguin

Staff member
^^^ yeah that
Intermittent leave as well
You only get the allowable hours per week that your doctor prescribes
You don't have to use them every week but only when you need them
You can't use more than your allowable hours/days in one week
Even if you gave extra hours for the year left

So if you have 3 days with no more than 8 hours per day
You can only take three days off per week even if the total hours is less than 24 hours

If the doc writes for 24 hours per week then you can split it up a little each day

So the same number of hours per week can mean different things

Intermittent leave is what I am asking for.

I know that the FMLA is not suppose to be a punishment, but it is known in our Department that people who take FMLA are not considered for promotions. Which is OK with me as I have no desire to be promoted. I would rather retire. But the way I was told to take FMLA, it is a punishment.

I am an auditor for the State of Utah. I do payroll audits on companies paying state unemployment tax. It is coming on performance review time. For the last performance year I have turned in 81 audits, which is 21 more than the minimum for passing. I also have investigations I need to do and I had 4 investigations that were of minimal importance that have been turned in late in the last year. Because of this, yesterday I was called into a meeting with my Manager's Boss. My Supervisor was there, but my manager was not. Her boss was.

I was told that my performance is in question and that he wanted to know why I am having this trouble!. I told him it was due to my Crohn's flaring for the last 6-8 months that I have not been able to keep up, so I concentrated on the most important matters in my job and let the least important matter slip. After telling him what my Crohn filled days are like, he told me I must apply for FMLA. (Family and Medical Leave Act). I just got my 30 years in, but I am only 53 years old so I am not ready for retirement. I think that upper management is trying to force me out.

The only problem is that I need my job for insurance purposes. My wife and I both have major medical issues. She has pulmonary hypertension, epilepsy, narcolepsy, and other medical issues. She is on medicare for second coverage. Medicare would become her primary. But I would not have coverage and I am on Entyvio, a high priced biologic.

I can't believe I am getting treated like this after 30 years. It is totally unreasonable. Today I started the process for FMLA, but I think they are really trying to get me out of here because I get paid too much.
I don't have IBD, but I have chronic depression and anxiety and was approved to use intermittent FMLA for my job which has been a huge help for me in scheduling doctor's appointments and using it for flare-ups. As long as you use it the way it is supposed to be used, it will protect your job. They cannot be discriminatory towards your health condition. :)

I have started the FMLA process. I am applying for both my Crohn's and as a caregiver to my wife, who has several conditions. (Pulmonary Hypertension, Epilepsy, Sleep Apnea, Narcolepsy, and Depression). I hope that things go well and I can get the help I need.