• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Best brand of Fish Oil??

Hi all - I know we all talk about taking Omega 3-6-9 on here - just wondering if anyone has a favorite brand they take?

Oh - and what about calcium/vit. D? I'm looking to add a brand that doesn't have any fillers or binders if possible.

I take a capsule for fish oil
it's by natures own
only one I've used as I've only recently started using fish oil
didn't think I'd like the taste of the actual oil

as for the calcium vitamin D that u can't say I've only been taking them since I been in hospital, I'll hav too ask what brand etc they are b4 i leave
thanks for reminding me I'd I'd forgotten lol

Spring Valley from Wally's world - two capsules has about 1500 of the EPA stuff that is good for the ticker. As far as calcium and D I get it from Costco, I also get the b-12 and b complex there. those vitamins are also good for the heart and lowering cholestoral. While you are at it you can get the low dose asprin and costco and there is a coupon for it this month.

Are we supposed to take aspirin? I thought that was a no no for Crohnies? I forgot about Costco.....I'll check there too. I'm just wondering who takes what fish oil for the "burp" factor you know? I don't like the after taste......

Wel the natures own i use is odourless and tasteless
plus bein a capsule isn't messy
each capsule is 1000mg

the wally's world ones are tastless and burp free. Low dose asprin 81 mg for family history of heart disease, havent had an issue in the past with crohns and the asprin, correct though Acetaminophen only for aches and pains

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I usually get whatever the house brand of the pharmacy I'm at. I reckon they're all pretty much the same.

Peaches said:
Are we supposed to take aspirin? I thought that was a no no for Crohnies? I forgot about Costco.....I'll check there too. I'm just wondering who takes what fish oil for the "burp" factor you know? I don't like the after taste......
I have to take 81mg asprin every day. My cardiologist makes me. I really don't notice much stomach pain, course my stomach always hurts but that's where my disease is.

I just started taking a new vitamin regimen and I included fish oil in it. I went to GNC and tried picking out different vitamins from there
They had a triple fish oil mixture of a pill (not home right now to give exact info from the bottle!!) but it is supposed to reduce burp effect also. I thought Asprin was a no no also :) My Doctor has said that it could cause you to go into a flare and that it is very harsh on peoples digestive systems in general.

That is what I thought as well JJ - but I understand with Chelli because she actually has had heart issues. I just don't know if I would do it as a preventative measure. Wonder if they have something else we can take??? Dern Crohn's.......

2.2 grams of Omega3 fat in every little can of Salmon I eat for lunch!

Once thing I am trying to keep in mind with the Omega3 thing is the balance of it with respect to Omega6. In Dr.Scala's book he suggests that taking a supplement will not help if there are high levels of O6 due to diet. I'm just saying he has me convinced that if your body is focusing on Arachidonic Acid(AA) it will ignore the EPA from the supplement.

If anyone has the book the part I am talking about is Chapter 10. The Basis of Inflammation and Tissue Damage.

I take a brand called 'The Real thing" which has 1600Mg per dose and according to the splurb on the tin has no toxins, pollutants,mercury, heavy metals, oxidation products or trans fats. I just don't know if you can get it where you are?
Their web site is www.therealthing.co.za

Sounds lovely Samantha - doesn't look like we can get it over here unfortunately :O( Kenny - I hear you on the imbalance we have. We have way too much O6 in our nasty Western diet.

Sorry hijacking the thread bit here

what vitamins etc does everyone take?

Jus wanna make sure I havnt missed something

I take centrum multi vitamin
omega 3 fish oil capsule 1000mg
an just started taking calcium vitamin D tablets in hospital
am I missin anythin important??

I just started a new vitamin regiment

I take centrum multi vitamin
2 different B complex
Multi Mega Minerals
And Triple strength fish oil

I take a Life brand multivitamin +minerals

Everything else I try to do with diet.

The reason for fish oil is to get Omega3 Fatty acids in your diet. When fats break down in our digestive system they create Prostiglandins. Prostiglandins are the things that cause inflammation. But they also reduce inflammation depending on the type. PGE1,PGE2,PGE3.

Omega3 fats create a Prostiglandins that reduces inflammation. Omega6 fats create inflammation. The thing about this theory is your body will pass over the good fats to get at that bad fats. The bad fats power our big brains and other higher functions and were very scarce in our evolutionary diets so our bodies needed every bit they could get way back when. But now we have surrounded ourselves (in the Western culture) with the foods that our body craves. This has led to a complete reversal of fat sources. If you believe the people who write about this topic than taking fish oil is not enough. You need to reduce the Omega6 fat source to less than that of the omega3.

there is the third Prostiglandin in there that helps things but it is also rendered useless in diets with higher omega6 than omega3.

Kenny - can you give everyone examples of what they need to eliminate to reduce the Omega 6 imbalance? I remember reading about this years ago - but am not up enough to speak intelligently. I'm thinking all the fast food, junk food etc right? Basically - you need to eat WHOLE foods. I just saw a thing on Oprah last week about this movie called Food Inc. (gonna try and watch that today) and the guy who did the film said if you don't have it in your pantry (as an ingredient to cook with) and a third grader can't pronounce it - DON'T EAT IT (he was talking about the ingredient list on the back of the foods we eat). Made sense to me. He also said the food you eat should rot. If it doesn't rot in a normal amount of time ....don't eat it.

here are some more articles to give the general overview. You always need to take this stuff with a grain of salt, pardon the pun :D

http://www.omega3sealoil.com/Chapter3_1.html
http://theconsciouslife.com/inflammation-essential-facts.htm
http://theconsciouslife.com/anti-inflammatory-diet-how-to-balance-omega-3-omega-6-fats.htm

Here is a fantastic chart that shows the ratio in some common foods.

http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/2009/04/omega-6-and-omega-3-in-foods.html

I am still a total newb when it comes to this stuff but the point I was trying to make is substituting fish and vegetables for the bulk of our red meat centric diets not only increases the Omega3. It reduces the Omega6 which competes for enzymes in the gut. This does double duty to shift that ratio.

I have changed some of my habits in the past few months and hope to lessen my dependence of drugs to keep my inter abdominal fistulas at bay. I have:

stopped frying foods if at all possible
switched to Olive oil for any cooking oil I need
eat red meat no more than once a week if I can
eat fish like salmon and tuna for lunch
cut meat portion at dinner by 1/2
double vegetable portions
Eat a lot more rice and pasta
avoid processed foods such as, lunch-meat and pre-packaged foods.
Start making things like Home made quiche pies or pot pies

Last edited:
Hmmm, sans that home made quiche and salmon - you are eating the diet I have been eating for a long time. My Dad had heart disease and so I learned as a young girl not to eat red meat more than once a week (or less). I eat tuna sporadically - probably should eat more of that. We fry about once every 6 months, and that is usually breaded chicken breasts for chicken parm (in like 1/2" of oil). Thanks for the links - good reading material.

o Wow! i did not know any of that. BUT! Interestingly i started taking Omega three Fish Oil last week because I thought it might make my hair shinier (just a random thought id had), AND as a result I feel better in my intestines. So, i guess you cold say it was a blind test on the inflamatory properties of fish oil that proved it does help

you have two option
one is Fish oil capsules can give you an odor problem so the best brands are those that are marked on the container as being "odor free". They have been specially treated to make them odor free and, of course, they are a bit more expensive than the untreated capsules.

and sencond is I would take Spectrum Flax oil.
Its 1000 MG per Gel.
This is by far the best Flax Seed vitamin i'v tried.
You can smell the flax seed when you take the Spectrum.
Flax Seed they say is good for the hair and heart.

lucyyenic said:
you have two option
one is Fish oil capsules can give you an odor problem so the best brands are those that are marked on the container as being "odor free". They have been specially treated to make them odor free and, of course, they are a bit more expensive than the untreated capsules.

and sencond is I would take Spectrum Flax oil.
Its 1000 MG per Gel.
This is by far the best Flax Seed vitamin i'v tried.
You can smell the flax seed when you take the Spectrum.
Flax Seed they say is good for the hair and heart.
That's exactly what Fish Oil does for you too, but many view it as even more effective (there are components in the Omega3's like EPA AND DHA that are not in natural Flax like they are in Fish Oil).

What does IBD have to do with Memory cards?

I believe you have to be very careful with any "natural" supplements because most are not regulated in any way, at least in the U.S. One of my criteria for buying fish oil supplements was that the company selling them should not have been prosecuted for or be under investigation for fraud or any consumer related shenanigans. That filtered out a lot of them. I also won't swallow anything that might come from China. I ended up buying Carlson Super Omega 3 gems.

It's a crap shoot buying natural supplements but you can improve your odds.

As for the aspirin part of this thread, my doc says if you are taking Pentasa (a non steroidal anti-inflamotory drug) you should not be adding another NSAID like aspirin to the mix. I take acetominophen when I need a pain killer.

I *completely* agree with you Timmy. I have a bad starting point since I haven't taken any supplements or vitamins in years - so I felt a little lost when I started looking, there are so many. I am still a little leery of these Raw One vitamins I am taking because of who is making them - but I just haven't had any problems tummy wise, soooo....

I use Coromega3 but, can only tolerate one a day.
Different flavors. If you can afford it? Seems cheaper online.
I take 2 children Vitamins a day.
So many things I've tried don't settle well.

I take Carlson Cod Liver Oil.
New Chapter for multivitamin.

I started the cod liver oil and the juicing at about the same time, so I can't
say which is benefitting me more, but I am certainly feeling much better since I started.

My Mom used to give me cod liver oil with ground up goat bones becaues she thought I was getting rickets. Dad said I never had rickets but I can still remember the horrible taste fifty some years later of that horrible stuff.

There is some danger involved with taking cod liver oil but it didn't kill me.

I've read lots of warnings about cod liver oil recently. UC of Berkely has this to say about it: Just one teaspoon of cod liver oil has 4,500 IU of A, for instance, and the standard dose is one to three teaspoons a day. Capsules of cod liver oil contain less oil, but the vitamin can still add up, especially on top of the amount you get from foods and from a multivitamin, if you take one. Recent studies have found that as little as 6,000 IU of vitamin A daily can interfere with bone growth and promote fractures. And women of childbearing age should not exceed 10,000 IU of vitamin A because of the risk of birth defects. Cod liver oil is made from livers, of course. The liver is a filter, so toxins (such as PCBs) get concentrated there. Thus cod liver oil is more likely to be contaminated than other fish-oil supplements.

If you want to try fish oil supplements, avoid cod liver oil—and talk to your doctor first.

A premium brand cod liver oil is regularly tested for contaminants.

"Montreal, January 27, 2010 – A new study has found that Vitamin D, readily available in supplements or cod liver oil, can counter the effects of Crohn's disease. John White, an endocrinologist at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, led a team of scientists from McGill University and the Université de Montréal who present their findings about the inflammatory bowel disease in the latest Journal of Biological Chemistry."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-01/muhc-vds012710.php

Last edited: