• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Best food to eat and gain weight

I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's...specifically in my colon. I'm currently going through a flare right now and I find it hard to eat certain food or afraid certain food in fear of it making things worse. I've already lost close to 30 pounds (originally weighed 118 before disease) and want to gain my weight back. The nausea is getting to me and not to mention the constant bathroom trips. Any advice would be greatly appreciated for this is all new to me. I'm 33 year old female with dairy intolerance. Thank you

It all depends on what your body can tolerate. I was going to suggest rice pudding made with evaporated milk, that's what helped me put on weight once the medication was getting my disease under control, but that's out of the question for you as you're dairy intolerant. What about mashed potato with loads of non-dairy spread? I am not able to eat much in the way of fruit and veg, but bananas are OK and they're quite high in calories, so maybe you could eat banana sandwiches? Scrambled eggs are OK too. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm afraid, as dairy is my own mainstay for keeping my weight up.

Try nutrition supplements or meal replacements like Ensure or specific ones like Modulen... It usually work great. Check with your doc if those products are not a problem considering your dairy intolerance.

When I have flared, limiting my diet to a protocol similar to the SCD intro diet has stopped the bathroom issues pretty quickly. Then reintroducing avocados, almond butter, and other healthy fats (depending on tolerance) can help put lost weight back on. If you're interested in learning more about diet and crohn's I found scdlifestyle.com and Breaking the Vicious Cycle to be helpful starting points.

When I have flared, limiting my diet to a protocol similar to the SCD intro diet has stopped the bathroom issues pretty quickly. Then reintroducing avocados, almond butter, and other healthy fats (depending on tolerance) can help put lost weight back on. If you're interested in learning more about diet and crohn's I found scdlifestyle.com and Breaking the Vicious Cycle to be helpful starting points.
Thank you so much, this disease has me so down. I find it hard to cope

Of course. It's an ongoing process with ups and downs, but the period right after diagnosis was definitely especially emotional and overwhelming for me. Be kind and patient with yourself! Have you been in touch with your doctor about your flare still being so bad? I hope you get some relief soon!

What therapy are you on? I think any effective therapy will help you gain weight.
When there is active disease, it can be very difficult to gain weight. The supplemental drinks that Guerrero suggested can definitely help. Some are dairy based but others are not.

My son had lost weight before his diagnosis and then gained some with treatment but was still underweight eating a lot and drinking 1 or 2 Boosts (nutritional drink) a day and protein bars. When he finally decided to try Remicade, his weight increased on a regular diet without any special drinks or bars.

Wishing you all the best!

Over the years, I've found nut butters/nuts and as well as drinking unsweetened soya milk (or your milk of choice, as long as it has substance) and using it in cooking/to make hot drinks to be a life saver.

I think it's important to find what you can tolerate and try not to stress yourself too much.
Also, try to enjoy what you're eating. I.e. don't just shovel down anything and everything for the sake of body mass - you're worth more than that.

Over the years, I've found nut butters/nuts and as well as drinking unsweetened soya milk (or your milk of choice, as long as it has substance) and using it in cooking/to make hot drinks to be a life saver.

I think it's important to find what you can tolerate and try not to stress yourself too much.
Also, try to enjoy what you're eating. I.e. don't just shovel down anything and everything for the sake of body mass - you're worth more than that.
Thank you for the words of encouragement!!

Bufford

I tollerate chicken and fish well. I enjoy roasting whole chickens, prefer eating the breasts warm for supper with carrots baked along side and brown rice. I put aside and eat the cold dark meat for lunches. Pork I avoid, and beef I have to limit as it is hard to digest.

I was told no nuts....
Nuts are one of the worst things for my gut too. Fibre in any form triggers my symptoms - it seems like some people with Crohns can tolerate fibre and some can't (I do wish I could, as it's impossible to eat a healthy diet without, particularly as a vegetarian).

Nuts are one of the worst things for my gut too. Fibre in any form triggers my symptoms - it seems like some people with Crohns can tolerate fibre and some can't (I do wish I could, as it's impossible to eat a healthy diet without, particularly as a vegetarian).
Most times i have nuts ,it is horrible for my Crohns disease.

Nuts and nut butters are fine for me, but only once my symptoms are under control..I wouldn't recommend them while you're flaring

That's weird, my doctor was the one who suggested walnuts, however they are to be blended. If they said no nuts you best not try it. What about organic soy milk? It is full of calories.
Soy milk is not very energy dense. Sweetened is on par with semi skimmed, and unsweetened is slightly less than skimmed. This is for UHT - fresh is even less.

Although, this is probably the best option if dairy has to be avoided. I.e. it has both protein and fat which you don't get with other nut/seed milks.

That'll be sweetened - I've been going by ~50 Cals/100 ml. Obviously there's slight variation depending on composition, but these are roughly the same.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful or say it wasn't valid or anything, just I read your initial post as soya milk being, you know, more energy dense than it is.

Also as a side note to OP, they tend to be fortified with calcium, vitamin D and B12 to make a few, which can help combat deficiency.

If you can tolerate pasta, carbohydrates are a good healthy way to put on weight. But watch you don't have too much starch from large pasta like lasagna, which is known to trigger abdominal cramps.

I had to cut raw nuts out of my diet, but cooked nuts don't bother me. I also found that dark chocolate covered nuts were safe, and dark chocolate is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Check out aid diet for ibd. Works for me. Cut out all dairy. Don't worry about gaining weight. Try and get flare under control and not lose any more weight.
Go according to how you feel and increase when your body is ready to accept the extra calories. An extra 100 calories here and there will add up.