• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Best IBD microbiome/metabolic study I have ever found

Not sure if ever posted before.
Found it in an odd way, searching riboflavin and mucin.

Highly complex, but you can now see a lot of what is going on in our guts.
Its just not dysbiosis, the bugs are defending themselves from oxidative stress,
and eating more mucus.

Old Mike
http://www.genomebiology.com/2012/13/9/R79

Not sure if ever posted before.
Found it in an odd way, searching riboflavin and mucin.

Highly complex, but you can now see a lot of what is going on in our guts.
Its just not dysbiosis, the bugs are defending themselves from oxidative stress,
and eating more mucus.

Old Mike
http://www.genomebiology.com/2012/13/9/R79
According to this study, It may be more important what the bacterial species are doing, rather then which species are actually there. In other words,to some degree, many different species can do the same job.

Perhaps that's why there may be more benefit then i would expect from a 5 strain probiotic for treating c. difficile which is supposedly going to replace the need for a fecal transplant. I still think a full spectrum human microbiota probiotic or an "old fashioned" fecal transplant is superior.

Last edited:
That's a great study. I think the greater the diversity the better.

Has anyone taken the course on Coursera-Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome.

It's an online course by the Rob Knight Lab that was at University of Colorado, studying the microbiome. (They moved to U of Calif this summer(UCSD) but CU still offers the course on demand.

It's a great course, no cost. You can audit it or pay for a certificate. I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

The part about amino acid sythesis is really interesting in regards to why some patients respond to amino acid therapy. I definitely want to spend some more time learning about the involvement of the microbiome in amino acid production, which ones do what etc.