• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Best rice to eat for Crohn's sufferers?

Currently, I eat extra long basmati rice. What type of rice should I opt to be eating? Extremely high fibre? My diet mostly consisted of rice and chicken even before this sickness began to afflict me, but is high fibre rice what I should be opting to eat? If so, what is arguably the best choice of rice to eat?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
The best thing to do is talk to a dietician, some people find that trial and error works as there is no one specific diet/food that works for everyone.

rice is nice.....basmati i agree of.......low glycemic index....

i think the best benefit however is how its prepared....optimizing for resistant starches when possible and cooking in 50% min bone broth if possible...

plus soaking and pressure cooking(for lectins, and just cuz its cool to make in 5 mins)

soaking gets interesting too as with brown rice, lower phytase so people actually culture/stack the rinse water to increase the enzyme in it....

then you have things like congee, which can be said to prefer a more starchy grain....and in fact japonica, can come as a black grain high in anthocyanin so that could be a logic choice as well.....

for my basmati tho.....i think the best out of it is something like:
soak/rinse, pressure cook in bone broth and oil, cool well, reheat(skillet dishes, stews etc easy enough)