• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Best supplements to improve immune system

tonya_n_ky

I posted a thread on lymph nodes where I also mentioned that I was going for bloodwork. I just started taking Imuran about 2 weeks ago also. But I feel like all of a sudden I am full of questions and was hoping someone could jump in and shed some light on things for me. First off, the bloodwork showed that I was really anemic and also that I have the lovely mono bug. :( Guess that'd explain the fatigue. It's soo bad I can't hardly move anymore. I just started taking multivitamins and I am going to call my Dr tomorrow (He wasn't in on the day I got my results back) and ask him to write me a script for iron pills. But I have been reading a lot of posts and I'm wondering about supplements and what's the best ones to help with keeping your immune system strong? Especially just starting the Imuran and then finding out about the mono, I'm almost sure I'd catch everything under the sun. (With 3 kids it's hard not to, lol) I've talked to 1 person who suggested digestive enzymes (I had a resection and diarrhea since so she told me that would help). She also mentioned probotics and a few others. This is all new to me. I have always just went to the Dr and took what he gave but at this point I feel like I need more than that. I have heard about sooo many and I don't know where to begin. And being new to them I don't know what I'm doing, lol. Thanks to all for being my guide. Til Next Time ~ Tonya

tonya_n_ky

I just found the thred on supplements in the treatment section....so thought I'd come back and add to this one. Flax oil, fish oil and acidiphillus. ? What exactly do they do? I also get a monthly injection of B-12 (forgot to mention) Is there enough vitamin C, D and things like that in a multivitamin or should we be taking more than that? Wow, I'm full of questions, lol..Thanks ya'll

K

kix66

Hi Tonya ~ Iron pills: i've taken many dif. brands, i like the Slo-FE the best, easy on the gut. I do monthly B12 injections to. I take a daily probiotic, multi-vit, calcium with vit D, and a C pill. Seems to all help, but i still get tired too. The probiotics will help regulate the good and bad bacteria in your gut. I tend to eat too many sweets and bad bacteria love sweets, so the acidiphillus helps.

tonya_n_ky

Thanks Kix...I actually talked to my doc earlier and he's calling me in the prescription for the Iron pills. I also love sweets, so I'll look into trying the acidiphillus. ~ Tonya:)

M

meapache

Iron Pills

Hi Tonya,
My daughter was in such bad shape, she needed four pints of blood when she was admitted to hospital, started taking 2, 325mg tablets daily in May, her levels are back to normal...now, if her fistula would just close up.

tonya_n_ky

Thank you Jeff and Sam. I have now started iron pills(325 mg), just took my first one with the recommended glass of OJ. I also order Forvia and it should be here tomorrow. It's a multivitamin specifically for IBD patients that I saw Miss Janet takes so thought it would be a better one to try. (Thanks to Janet for the info on it) I'm taking Imuran, up to 100 mg on week 2. Dr has me going up to 125mg and then staying there to see how it works. I went out today and bought GNC Natural Brand Acidophilus (1 Billion CFU) and GNC Natural Brand Flax Seed Oil 1000. I also take paroxetine (mood pill, lol) Tizanidine (muscle relaxer, as needed) and cholestyramine powder for the big D. Now for more questions..Should I only take 1 flax seed oil and acidophilus a day? The acidophilus says 1-4 caps prior to a meal. It's 1 Billion CFU so is more better or should I start with just one and see how it goes? The same goes for the flax seed oil, it says 1-3 caps a day. And when are the best times to take these? And I really hope I got the right ones, lol.
As I said before, these are all new to me so sorry if it seems like I'm driving everyone crazy with questions. I very much appreciate the responses. (((Hugs))) to all and Hope everyone is feeling good.

R

ruthymg

wow, you know a lot more about supplements then I do, I wouldn't know where to start. I mean do they really work? If they do, you'll be running marathons in no time lol

Ruth

Instead of taking the flax seed oil I would get the fish oil as flax seed oil can lead to further inflammation which you do not want... If your worried about the tasted get the ones that are enteric coated and have the lemon flavor in them... And if you have your reciept swapping them out will not be a problem if it has been within 30 days even if you have already taken some of them... If you do not have a reciept and it is the GNC Brand you can still get a store credit... The offical policy is to give the most possible sell price + the gold card discount but depending on who you get you may get full credit back... But again if you have your reciept then you will have no problems so long as if you wrote a check it has been 10 business (or is it 14) days before you can do a return... Also make sure you have your ID on you as well..

As far as the enteric coated fish oil let me give you a link...

I would take this one:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2523092&cp=2108442&parentPage=family

Second choice:
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2216865&cp=2108442&parentPage=family

Plus they do have other coasted fish oil gnc brand pills that have the lemon flavor in them but you have to look at the back under the ingerdents list... Also don't trust the sales person to know what he is talking about unless he actually sounds knowledge which I doubt he will... Most people working at GNC don't really know much of anything about the products they are selling unless they have just been with the company forever like me...

The regular fish body oil pills are still going to have that nastey fishy after taste unless you freeze them and swallow them frozen.... Yes they will thaw and you will absorb your fats but you will not get the fishy after taste..

Start off with the acidolphilus as just one on an empty stomach about 30 min before a meal... Do that once a day... See how it works for you... If you wish to increase the dosage do the same thing another 30 min before a different meal... Again wait a couple of days at this dosage to see how your body will react... Continue to do this until you get the desired effect or until you hit 4 pills a day...

As an added bonus a lot of women find that by taking the acidophuls they are much less prone to getting yeast infections and when they do they find they have a much easier time of getting rid of them...

tonya_n_ky

Thank ya GNC. I stopped the flax seed oil and plan on buying the fish oil instead. I bought it at a Rite Aid who sells the GNC brand so not sure about a refund BUT my fiance said he'd take em, lol. I am already feeling better on the acidphilus, and the other meds I'm on. Not sure which is making things better but I'm glad to finally be able to say I feel pretty good. I'd recommend to anyone to try the acidphilus though, it seems to be helping me a lot. Hey Ruth, I'm gonna get to running! :lol: Thanks for the info

For what it is worth - my gastro Dr. told me long ago, if I felt it necessary, to take the cheapest MULTIVITAMIN I could find. Why pay for all that advertising.
I agee with him and have been following his advice for years.

I guess the theory is that vitamin C is vitamin C? etc.

tonya_n_ky

Harry,
That may be so, But the Forvia doesn't have the magnesium, which causes diarrhea. And that was a big problem for me. I think it's a wonderful idea for people with Crohn's. We actually have our very own "recipe" for something we need, more of what our body needs and less of what we don't. It also doesn't have the lactose,sugars, dyes, sweeteners or artificial flavors and it is gluten free. Where as a lot of others have those and some people have trouble tolerating them. From what I know and have seen I think I'm gonna be a Forvia fan. If I have to pay a little extra and get what I pay for, then I'd rather do that.

Last edited:
A

andilynn09

I am also on Imuran, and was extremely anemic in the beginning. I take a "complete" multi-vitamin (includes vit C and iron among everything else), and also a form of iron gluconate (which has iron and vitamin C in it). After taking them both religiously every day for a few months, I could see a big change in my both my iron levels and the way I felt....so there is hope.

Fish oil is very imprortant. For us with inflammatory diseases we need to increase our Omega 3 intake (fish oil, flax oil) and decrease our Omega 6 intake (corn oil, saflower oil, animal fats, etc...), inorder to have the balance we need in our bodies to fight the disease.

very important books on this subject are:

- The New Eating Right for a Bad Gut by James Scala
- The Omega Diet

The first one is specifically aimed at IBD, and the other has more scientific data on why we need to have more Omega 3 in our diet, and how it helps to fight disease