• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Best whingy, pathetic FB status updates.

So, the consensus seems to be that alot of us like Facebook for reconnecting with friends, nights out (when we are able) etc. But I see alot of frustration at silly, end-of-world status updates from our friends.
So, let's hear 'em!

Friend 1 (now off newsfeed), winter "Grrrr fookin weather can't believe I can't go out tonight boo-hoo grrrrr" (She's out like every other night).

Friend 2 "You don't know what worry is until you are a parent" How insulting, how about facing a diagnosis of an incurable, lifelong disease? Or going for such a long time waiting for an answer. Not to mention insensitive to those of us who will never have the joy of a child.

ameslouise

One of my friends posted about how jealous she was at what all her friends were doing over spring break - warm weather trips, ski trips out west, cruises, etc.

I posted, "Let me know if you'd like to trade with me."

She replied, "Shutting up now." It made me laugh!

rygon

Yeh i know of a few serial whingers:-

"board, board, board" (on a side note suprising how ppl i know cant spell bored)
"missed neighbours because the baby was crying. FML"

These are also the people who alos change their status every 5mins

Yeh the parent excuses are so annoying as well.

I think reading about my friends' "problems" is my number one use for Facebook these days. Always good for a pick-me-up. My favorites are people complaining about work - especially a new job they just got. Get a grip, people!

None of my friends really whine but I have some that could be on jerry springer...one tonight husband and wife arguing via fb ...good lord ppl figure out some things should be kept private!

lol.... I have to say in fairness Friend #1 I mentioned has been very surprisingly supportive, she has no experience of illness as far as I know and we are like secondary friends through my cousin... :hug:

I think I need new friends lol. Mine are so boring. Either I get to hear about the little one's runny nose or how delicious their pot roast was last night. Yawn. Some drama right now would be fun :ysmile:

haha one that got me yesterday was this girl from my previous job
"my stomach hates me today--grrrrrr"

I'm just sitting and thinking "my stomach hates me everyday, get over it"
but I can't sit and be a scrooge about it so i just have to laugh i guess. besides it's not her fault I'm sick so I shouldn't take my frustrations out on her

I hate the ones like "ugghhh, when will this cold go away?"
I'm like, at least you know it WILL go away eventually. At least you know you won't end up in the hospital for it next week because your intestines decided to start bleeding. At least if you go to your dr, you know he will give you medicine for it, and you know it will make you better. For me, I have no black and white answers. I don't know when I'll get better, if I'll get better, if I'll need surgery, if this medication or that medication is going to work, if I'm going to get cancer from this medication, if I'm going to get fat from that one.
You can deal with your cold. It's a damn cold. You're not going to be chronically ill for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. I don't make status's every single day about "oh poor me, I'm so0o0o sick :("
I make status's about how great I'm feeling, how I'm so grateful to have even a little less pain, and how much I appreciate my friends. I try not to bombard people with the fact that I'm sick. They know. If they have questions or concerns, they will ask. I don't want to be seen as an attention seeker, because I'm not.

The ones that always get me are the ones who complaign about being sick...having colds or strep throat or something stupid that will pass after a week or so....then there are the ones who post pictures on facebook of the "huge pill" they have to take because they have swimmers ear, strep and a sinus infection all at once. I posted that it looked like my lialda which I take 4 a day....yeah...annoying

The ones that always get me are the ones who complaign about being sick...having colds or strep throat or something stupid that will pass after a week or so....then there are the ones who post pictures on facebook of the "huge pill" they have to take because they have swimmers ear, strep and a sinus infection all at once. I posted that it looked like my lialda which I take 4 a day....yeah...annoying
I had a friend on fb who was in the emergency room for a little bit, at the same time that I was admitted to hospital. She was constantly posting stuff about her kidney infection and "shingles." When she posted a picture of the pills she had to take...for ten days.. there was like, 6 of them. And I noticed that two of them were valtrex, two tylenol 3's and two gravol. Now, I know they give you valtrex for shingles, but honestly, she is definitely the type of person to have genital herpes, and I know that your first genital herpes outbreak can seriously mimic a kidney infection. I also noticed that her pills had no antiobiotics in them. If she had a kidney infection she would be on antibiotics, 100%. I wish people would stop forgetting that I took a pharmaceutical course. Save them some embarrassment hahahahaha

The funny thing is I have a friend who has thiroid(sp) cancer and she hardly posts woe is me status. Every now and then you'll see an update on her condition but no "I'm feeling aweful" posts...I also have friends who have cronic kidney failure, theroid problems and ulcers or heart problems, none of them post about being sick. I think the ones who are really sick and will never get better complaign the least about being sick lol

This is something that has wound me up a lot over the last few months, Ive spent 4 months in hospital and obv had the odd moan on facebook. Yet i would constantly read people moaning about hangovers which are self inflicted, feeling tired cos theyve spent the day having fun... having a little headache, and many more stupid little things that whilst in hospital i would of given anything just to have thos sort of things to moan about and nothing else. A lot of people dont realise how lucky they are, but i guess without going through real bad times they will never understand it the same either.

I think when you're chronically ill, you kinda get used to it and accept it. It's not FB-worthy. But when you're normally well and you get the flu, it's like the end of the world. I don't fault them for that. It's a deviation from their norm and it sucks. However, I hate when people say FML. Are things really THAT bad that you have to use that sentiment? It's like saying I hate my life. It just seems rather extreme.

Crohn's Mom

However, I hate when people say FML
I so agree with that ! My 17 year old son just started using that phrase this week and I can't stand it ! I'm going to beg him to stop, and if that doesn't work I will change the settings to my wi-fi connection until he agrees ! LOL

I enjoyed (if thats the right word) reading this thread! I don't have the balls to moan about my disease on FB although I often wish I did, especially to counter pathetic whinging.

some people need a slap sometimes. i was watching the Kardashians, she has psoriasis and all she had was just some spots on her leg, she was flipping out because her life was ruined because her skin wouldn't be in perfect condition. i was like... some days i can't leave the house not because im worried that people will see my skin its because i can't leave the toilet or im in so much pain. it frustrates me when ( sorry if i offend) really OBESE people at work get mad because they had to skip a meal. and ithink i went three and a half months on TPN and just clear liquids my frustraion i took out on my mom who was taking care of me. i was so hungry. i actually blocked some people on FB because i got so tired of these people having no clue!