• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Better after surgery but do i need to take medication

Hi i wasnt sure where to post this,, I had an emergency surgery to remove all my colon last september after suddenly getting very ill with what i thought was a stomach bug as my partner had a stomach bug so i assumed it was that,, Ihad always been having some very mild tummy pains for quite awhile before i got sick but colonoscopy an mri showed nothing so thought i was fine,, until september when i thought it was a bug but it got bad so i went to the hospital,, it took the a few days to realise it was bowel disease crohns , tried some steroids and infliximab ,, but didnt work obviosly as my bowel suddenly perforated and later that day had the surgery,, now have ilesostomy,, my worry is now should I be on medication,, my gastro doctor says no because my diease was in the colon an now its gone he says i dont need to take meds as they are pretty bad to take,,, but my worry is that i will suddenly get very ill out of the blue again ,, could my small bowel go rogue on me suddenly like my colon did and burst ? Im in the uk,, if i tell my doctor im worried will he give me meds or would he not even if i say i want them for prevention? I have been having very mild pain which is what feels just like period pain to me,,, which is the same feelings i used to get before i knew i had crohns, but without a colon why would i get the same feelings as before if its my digestive system thats that is hurting,,, This is all very strange to me and im just waiting in a way for when ill get ill again,,, as my doc seemed very confident ill be fine now,, but all that iv read online says it usually comes back ,, I dont trust doctors tests now either so i feel i have no way to even know an just have to wait for it to get really bad until ill get treated again

Basically should I try taking a medication or is my doctor right in not giving me one , anyone not on anything like me ?

Welcome. I would think it might come back. I could be wrong. You could stay in remission for a while. My impression is that we need to be on medicine for the rest of our life.. I would look for a doctor who will put you on medication.. At the same time, I hope you stay in remission for a while.

Last edited: