• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Beverly j

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 1975 when I was 16yrs old and hospitalizes 5-6 times a year until 2004 when I started remicade infusions. I had absolutely no side affects but in the Sept of 2012 I started having ear infections then a rash on my hands, wrists, thighs, turso and feet. Dec 2012 I woke up with a abscess in the groin area and went to the ER because it was so painful. I had it cut and drained by a Colorectal surgeon. Followed up 2 weeks later and was told I had another, he cut and drained that one. 4 wks later I had another. I left him went to a wound center because I could not heal after 3 surgeries and was informed I may have a fistula. Went to another state to a different Dr and confirmed I had a fistula. This Colorectal Surgeon cut and put in a draining tube. Went back 8 wks later had it removed, it didnt heal and found I still had a fistula. In between the 7 surgeries I've had I been dealing with on and off rashes, now I am dealing with a rash on my chin in addition to the rash on the same parts of my body I had before and tomorrow I go for my 8th surgery to remove the draining tube from the fistula. I've seen 5 dernatologists, 4 ENT drs, 1 wound dr and 2 colorectal surgeons. I have an appointment April 1st for an immunologist to see if the remicade is doing this or if I am allergic to something else. Has anyone had fistulas or rashes from remicade?

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Beverly
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear of your pain and anguish, what an ordeal you are going through.
you may find it helpful to take a look at the Treatment section in this forum.
You will find lots of information in these pages.
Also there are many people who will help you and give the benefit of their experiences,
Jennifer and Afidz among others come to mind here.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi bev2james and welcome to the forum! :D

Rashes are listed as a side possible effect of Remicade: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/infliximab-intravenous-route/side-effects/drg-20068387 I've gotten a rash from Pentasa before but not from Remicade.

I don't have any experience with abscesses or fistulas and neither does afidz to my knowledge so I'm going to tag a few other people. :) Absentminded, xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx, DustyKat, PsychoJane, Pointy_ears, any info on the fistulas or abscesses would be appreciated. nogutsnoglory, my little penguin, PsychoJane, Clash, DougUte, annawato, Astra, if you've had a rash while on Remicade (if you've taken it before) please share your experience. Thank you guys. :)

We have a section on the forum for Abscesses, fistulas and fissures here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76 You may find more help there.

We also have a section for Remicade here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Hang in there and let us know how your appointment goes. :)

nogutsnoglory

I haven't had a rash on Remicade but as Jennifer said its a listed side effect. Fistulas though would be a sign of active disease, Remicade if effective is supposed to help close up the fistula not create one.

I think an immunologist is a good idea. Perhaps they can do a test tiny dose of Remicade before your next infusion to see if you are having a site reaction. Have they premeditated you before infusions? You can have a steroid injection or Benadryl prior to infusion which may eliminate the rash if Remicade is the cause.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS had multiple rashes to remicade.
Blisters showed up on his hand after the first infusion.
Then months later his skin peeled on his hand/fingers
Rashes on his torso , arms , ears , scalp , face - not all at once but it moved around.
We saw three dermo who all thought the rashes were different things - roscea, dermitis, etc...
Finally found a dermo who had lots of exp with crohn's patients - the doc knew all the crohn's meds , treatment etc...
Told us the rashes were drug eruptions ( basically an allergic reaction to remicade).
The doc said as long as it was a rash he would be fine.
The doc gave use a couple of creams which worked but DS ended up having a more severe allergic reaction involving breathing and his tongue tingling while pre medicated with steriods and Benadryl so the remicade was stopped .
All of his rashes stopped with the next month so we know it was the remicade .