• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Big chunk of flesh gone after drainage

Hi all,
I have had some ups and downs since the last time I was around.
In February they did a scope and announced that I was finally healing and a couple weeks later I started having joint issues again and my rectal fistula started acting up.

I finally went in last week to have the surgeon look and he sent me to the OR the next morning to drain a big abscess I was in total denial about. So I have a new seton for my new fistula. All that is ok - not my first time with that and the pain is under control. But... the wound from the abscess is huge. 3 inches long and can I lay a finger sideways into the depth. My husband says it looks like a hotdog that split in the microwave - he really has a way with words.

So... any ideas on if this is actually going to heal up to even skin? It is really kind of upsetting to look at. :eek2:

theOcean

It will, yes! Mine was about 4 inches I think. Sometimes when the skin was healing unevenly I would go to my surgeon and she would inject silver nitrate so it would heal properly, but she hasn't had to do that in awhile. Areas that looked a bit alarming, and almost detached from the rest of the skin eventually melded in with the rest, too. I think it's just good to remind ourselves that our bodies can heal a bit haphazardly at times, but it gets it right eventually. :p

nogutsnoglory

Wishing you a speedy recovery as well. I don't know the answer but am encouraged by theoceans experience. I know from experience that visibly damaged skin can make an amazing recovery but really don't know much about deep external wounds.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. I have had a couple abscesses on my but drained. They left holes as big as hard boiled eggs. They took a long time to heal, lots of packing. But they healed quite nicely.

theOcean

Yeah, it takes awhile. It's been almost a year since my fistulotomy and it's still healing, but looks much better and doesn't hurt at all. Now I just have a tiny hole from the seton that's closing a little more each day.

Hi all
My anal abscess was removed last week, the wound is big and deep (The "hole" is 60mm x 30mm and 50mm deep.)
I'm having it packed and drained daily.... I know everyone's different, but is it a case of weeks or months having it packed? XX

DJW

Forum Monitor
Unfortunately mine take months to fully heal. I find the hole itself closes quickly. Complete healing takes awhile for me.

My job takes me away from home, so I'm off work until I no longer need the nurse to dress it, it's a lot more ongoing than I ever imagined - I send hugs out to everyone who is suffering xx

DJW

Forum Monitor
In time you will get to the point where packing isn't needed. Just clean and cover it. Only have the nurse come every 10 days to asses it.

It's strange how every surgery is different, but then I guess every wound is different.... I spoke to my nurse today, and she feels the process will be along the lines of - the next 2/3 weeks packaged daily - then onto every other for 1/2 weeks and then to weekly.... Until the wound has closed and healed internally, and then the surface skin last...

XX