• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Big step

Hi everyone, so glad to come across this site as nobody seems to understand about crohns and compare it to ibs all the time! I have been in pain for such a long time and my symptoms are defo not minor.

I had my gallbladder removed in December after having tremendous pain, the surgeon said it was last resort as no meds worked to stop pain and sickness. Lukily he was right to take it out as there was scarring in it and a polyp hiding in it also! I was fine for a couple of weeks after and felt normal then symptoms came back and soon I was back on loads of medication. My surgeon agreed to check my calprotectin levels after me self diagnosing myself on the nhs choices website! Thank goodness I did as they came back abnormal and really high. So I have a colonoscopy next month to confirm crohns diagnosis and to be honest I'm...scared, confused, in disbelief. I am also extremely sick, sore, exhausted and grumpy so perhaps the diagnosis will be best thing for me so I can get a plan of action sorted.

I know somebody who is in hospital just now having a bag fitted, he isn't even 30 yet and I can't get my head around it. I am 27 as know very little about this disease. I could really use a list of foods to eat/avoid, info, advice, anything that you are willing to offer really as I have been having a flare up now for 5 days and it's showing now sign of shifting. Last month is lasted a lot longer and I don't know what (if anything) I am doing wrong :(

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi suzi and welcome. Sorry your feeling bad. Everyone is different as far as foods to avoid. I'd suggest keeping a food journal to track what works and what doesn't. We also have a good diet section which will give you info on different diet types.
Sending you my support and best wishes. Try taking it a day at a time - it can be overwhelming.

nogutsnoglory

Everyone is really different when it comes to food but DJW is right that a log may help you to identify what trusts you. The best way to learn about this disease is to immerse yourself in the literature and by being a member here. We are here to support, answer questions and help guide you.

Thank you both for your replies, it's much appreciated. I will keep a food diary and see how it goes. It's only 8am and it's already been a bad morning! My poor kids were practically getting themselves ready for school and nursery. I think I have scarred them for life by being in hospital loads, they keep asking when I'm going back and they are terrified to touch my tummy when cuddling :( hard going x