• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bile acid

I have suffered from crohns disease for 35 years, in my case resulting in chronic diorhea and a burning sensation when passing any motion, to cut a long story short I have been in and out of hospital many times ( massive bleeding ) and ended up having the infected part of my colon removed, this has so far ended the episodes of blood loss but not the diorhea

I have been prescribed with many medicines including steroids ( bad news ) and to be honest I had given up hope of ever being able to live a normal life ,( well you cant live a normal life if you have to visit the toilet 10 to 15 times a day at very short notice, not to mention your zero prospects of holding down a job even with a sympathetic employer )

However last year my doctor tried me on a new medicine ( I have had a few docs over the years ) and it actually works !! I can now lead a reasonably normal life and can now journey in a car or bus,

The medicine is Questran , As far as I understand ( what the doc said ) the human body produces bile acid to digest the food in your stomach when you start to eat a meal, however it is almost totally re-absorbed in the lower part of your colon 95% ( in a normal person ) if not so the acid causes extreme iritation in the bowel which results in very watery and chronic dioreha

Questran comes in a satchet and is a bit like drinking a glass of wallpaper paste but it binds the bile acid into your motion and prevents the irritation in your bowel

Obviously this may be only of use in a crohns sufferer depending on where the disease has occured in the digestive tract

I hope this may be of use to a fellow sufferer

regards steve