• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Biologics/Steroids-which are used for specific areas

Hello,

Does someone have information on all the Biologics and oral/rectal steroids in terms of what areas of the intestines they work best in? I can’t find any charts or information online that discuss what areas are treated best by the various treatments.

People have mentioned certain Biologics and steroids work better in the colon vs small intestine, for example, but is there a list somewhere that lists them all out and the areas they’re best used for?

I’m just trying to get a better understanding of all this.

Thank you!

Scipio

I don't have a comprehensive list but off the top of my head I can offer:

Steroids
Oral Uceris = budesonide targeted to the colon
Oral Entocort = budesonide targeted to the terminal end of the small bowel and first part of the colon
Rectal Foams and suppositories are of course targeted to the rectum and terminal end of the colon

Biologics
Entyvio (vedolizumab) reacts with a protein that is primarily located in the colon. It is used for small bowel lesions too but is considered to be less effective there.

Others
Mesalamine and Sulfasalzine are (or should be) primarlily used in UC (hence the colon) rather than Crohn's. Not that they are chemically targeted to the colon so much as they just don't work very well, if at all, for Crohn's

I don't have a comprehensive list but off the top of my head I can offer:

Steroids
Oral Uceris = budesonide targeted to the colon
Oral Entocort = budesonide targeted to the terminal end of the small bowel and first part of the colon
Rectal Foams and suppositories are of course targeted to the rectum and terminal end of the colon

Biologics
Entyvio (vedolizumab) reacts with a protein that is primarily located in the colon. It is used for small bowel lesions too but is considered to be less effective there.

Others
Mesalamine and Sulfasalzine are (or should be) primarlily used in UC (hence the colon) rather than Crohn's. Not that they are chemically targeted to the colon so much as they just don't work very well, if at all, for Crohn's
Between Ucerif Foam and oral pills, which targets bleeding, urgency, and frequency better?