• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Biopsies and inflammation

Hi -
I have some questions for my undiagnosed friends ...

Does your GI always take biopsies when doing endoscopy and colonoscopy? (even if things look fine?) (My MIL just had hers, after years of untreated D, and he did not take any biopsies because 'everything looked fine'. I was so disappointed.)

Does anyone undiagnosed have some inflammation on their biopsy pathology reports? (Danny's reports always show some mild 'non-specific' inflammation, sometimes active, sometimes chronic - in multiple areas. His last report a few weeks ago show chronic inflammation in his stomach and duodenum, and active inflammation in his tranverse colon. All non-specific.)

I read this article today ... and thought it was interesting.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ibd.21356/full

Thanks!!

Hey,

Yeah, you definitely need lots of biopsies to find any of the microscopic colitis' so doc was lazy to not do any biopsies. I share the frustration. My doc only took one biopsy on my last scope. So to answer your question, they don't always take biopsies. That doesn't mean they shouldn't though.

Yes some of the people here who are officially 'undiagnosed' have inflammation. Some people have even had inflammed portions of bowel cut out and still no diagnosis. It just depends if the biopsies are lucky enough to have one of the markers that distinguish between the diseases.

For my colonoscopy, everything looked fine but he took a bunch of biopsies anyway. There was nothing significant there. The only thing the pathology noted was "multiple lymphoid nodules" present in my colon tissue samples. When I asked him, he said that was normal; pathologists just always like to bring up something. Yes, he actually said that.

My EGD saw esophagitis and gastritis from the biopsies. No duodenitis, though. I specifically asked if it could be from Crohns, and he seemed to think not. ((shrug)) Who knows?

Sorry Danny is still in limbo!!

May:

On the biopsy I had taken I had lymphoid hyperplasia, is that what it was? What are they saying about you? Anything useful?

Nathan

No - that's all it said: "multiple lymphoid nodules are present". I googled the crap out of that, LOL, and really couldn't find a whole lot. My doctor didn't even mention it to me; it was only after I requested a copy of the pathology report that I saw it. I brought it up at an appointment, and he said its normal to have lymph activity in the colon.

Heh, that's true it's 'normal', at the same time, increased lymph activity is clinically important, but on its own it can mean anything, so it's just as good as saying 'oh yeah, you've got a colon'. :( Was hoping to have something to ask next time I went in but that's it.

Thanks,
Nathan