• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Biopsy results from colonoscopy

I had my second colonoscopy 2 weeks ago and today was my follow up appt.

When my dr. did my procedure, he said that everything looks surprisingly good. He told me that my colonoscopy last year (visually) showed some inflammation in my colon which it didn't show this year. I saw his assistant at my appointment today and she told me that last year the biopsy of my TI, came back normal. She then told me that my biopsies from 2 weeks ago showed that I have some signs of mild inflammation in my TI. She didn't seem worried at all and I was in such shock that I of course didn't really ask any questions. Is this possibly the begining of something? How ofter do "people" have inflammation present in a biopsy that is not seen by the naked eye during the scope? I'm not sure if people can really answer those questions, i'm just trying to understand everything better.

I have told her and my dr that i have 4-6 loose stools daily and I have been like this since my surgery. my doctor says that it may just be my new "normal" which really doesn't bother me too much since i'm a stay at home mom, I just hope it's not a symptom of something that we are missing.

She told me "well, you aren't having abdominal pain or anything so that's a good sign"... my response was "yea, I didn't have abdominal pain, blood in my stools or anything like that before I ended up in emergency surgery and in ICU, I only had nausea, weight loss and loss of apetite for TWO weeks" . I think that's what makes me so nervous.. I was in REALLY bad shape when I went to the hospital a year and a half ago and I only had flu like symptoms for 2 weeks prior so it doesn't seem like I get the normal symptoms like most Crohnies get.

I don't really know what i'm expection.. maybe I just want to hear stories of people who have had biopsies positive for inflammation that wasn't seen with the naked eye.

Another thing that is irritating me is the fact that I never see my Doctor anymore - I always see his Physicians assistant. I go to this doctor because he has been there from the begining, he saw me at my worst and knows what i've gone through - I have to re-explain it everytime I see her. I'm not sure why i'm not seeing my doctor anymore and I think I may call and see if my next appt can be set up with him. I don't want to step on anyones toes or make anyone mad but i'm paying $30 every visit expecting to see a Doctor!

okay, that was longer than I expected!! sorry!

annawato

Staff member
Thats very annoying that you pay to see the doctor and only see an assistant. I don't think its asking to much to ask to see the doctor. Make a list of all the questions you have before you see him/her cos its very easy to forget things once you get in there.
I don't know about colonscopys/inflammation and biopsy results, but I do find that I don't suffer from symptoms as much as other people on here do and yet when I end up in hospital they are amazed that I don't because my crohn's is so bad. They usually wonder how I am still walking. And this can be when I've had good bloodwork in the preceding months. So the point of my ramblings is that I think you can have active disease without realising it although of course this is usually not the norm. I think its quite possible that a doctor could miss seeing inflammation too or maybe he thinks it is mild so not worth worrying about. sorry I haven't been much help,