• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Biopsy results question

So, after a ton of anxiety and almost panic, I completed my colonoscopy this morning. I did take a xanax before going in. It was not that big of a deal and I am so glad to have it done.

But, I was a little surprised that both EGD and Colonoscopy were mostly normal. I had a few sessile polyps removed and biopsies were taken from stomach, dueodunem (sp), and colon.

My dr. was suspecting IBD based on symptoms of chronic diarrhea, weight loss of 20 pounds in 6 months (now 5'6 and down to 112pounds), nausea, and abdominal pain.

So, finally my question...how likely is it that there will be a positive result of something from the biopsy in the absence of any significant scope findings. Did this happen to anyone?

Dr. said if it weren't for the weight loss he would assume IBS. But, that much of a weight loss is not consistent of IBS. I have also had a negative CT (abdominal and pelvic), I had elevated pancreas enzymes but were normal on retest, other blood work for thyroid, anemia, liver, etc normal. Negative for h. pylori.

I'm frustrated and confused and don't feel like I am ever going to get a definite answer.

It is quite possible they will see something under the microscope, it is much more powerful than the naked eye. Lots of people on here have gone many years and many tests (consistently normal until something shows up) before being dx'ed, other get lucky and it happens on first test.

Also, I see you have not had any small bowel tests, such as a barium x-ray or capsule endoscopy. Both scopes only peek into either end and there are feet upon feet that they cannot reach.

The tests you have had so far are not enough to rule out IBD and dx IBS.

Please feel free to stop by the Undiagnosed Club :)

:heart:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
If you are in the early stages of IBD then they may still find something microscopically. Scopes still leave most of your small bowel untouched and it is not unusual for a standard CT to show nothing.

Pancreatitis is an Extra Intestinal Manifestation (EIM) of IBD and often presents before any intestinal symptoms do, as do many of the EIM's of IBD. My daughter had elevated pancreatic enzymes that were through the roof one day and normal the next.

Based on what I went through with my daughter...while ever symptoms persist do not rule out IBD based on negative (normal) test results.

Good luck!

Dusty. xxx