• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Biopsy Results

The Dr's office called this morning and said the biopsy was in agreement with the diagnosis of crohns. They are starting her on azulfidine 500mg three times a day, folic acid 1mg and iron 325mg. We have an appt next 3/3 for follow up and to possibly add more meds.

I need recommendations on what books are good to get more info on this. Are there any that are written at a teens level so my daughter can get the info she needs?

AZMOM

Jen - I'm not sure about books on her level but I'm going to take the liberty to poke around for you. :) Dusty may have some thoughts on that.

In the meantime, CCFA has a tab for kids and teens. Then there are some teen specific links on the page. Maybe somewhere to start???

http://www.ccfa.org/kidsteens/?LMI=8

I know having a firm diagnosis isn't always cheery news but now you know what you're tackling!!!

Hugs,

Thanks AZmom. I am relieved that we have the answers to all the symptoms. Now to get my baby girl healthy. She is excited that the meds will help her grow and start puberty. She wants to get to that point by the time she starts 8th grade in the fall lol

AZMOM

You tell that sweet thing we are rooting for her!!! Claire would love to hit puberty because she wants to wear a bra. Sigh.........my precocious second grader. LOL

Let us know how she's doing!!!

J.

Julie.....that sounds like something my 6 yr old would say lol. She wants to be just like her sisters. My oldest just wants to catch up to her 11 yr old sister and her 11 yr old cousin.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Jen,

Good to hear you finally have answers and can now start to tackle things head on.

As to the books question, well I haven't read any in particular that had the *wow* factor for me BUT that is not to say they wouldn't for you! I guess from what I have read in both books and other forms of media is your straight out, everything about Crohns from a medical/scientific outlook and then there seems to a emphasis on diet. If you go to the Books, Multimedia etc Forum..................

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

and browse through the threads you will find book recommendations. Go to the bottom of the second page where Mikeyarmo has posted a number of excellent threads and this link.................

http://astore.amazon.com/crohnsforum-20

I don't know that there is anything book wise specifically targeted at Teens, well not that I have seen. As Julie has suggested the CCFA would be an excellent starting point for information.

Sorry I can't be of more help in the recommendations line. I guess I have never been one to have one bible, so to speak, but rather gather information from various points.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Heck Jen, I don't know which books would be best either....if I have a question, I just ask Dusty!!

Jen sorry she got DX but at least you know & can deal with it. I know my sons, especially the oldest one & the next one down with IBS felt that way. They know what they are dealing with (not that they like it!) but they now feel like someone will take them seriously & they aren't nuts in their symptoms. Just reading HERE has given me some good tips & advice. I have used my oldest son for advice with my youngest son. He even came to his last Peds GI Dr.'s visit & we were able to discuss some ideas. I guess you can call our oldest son our CD mentor. I know they definitely have a bond that the other brothers don't.
All I can say from what I have found out is that it's not an exact science with CD! What works for one may not work for others. Good support is a great Key to helping!

Dex & Rachel....Dusty is our Mini Library of Knowledge!