• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Biopsy Results

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
My doctor's assistant just emailed me my recent biopsy results:

"the biopsy results were consistent with acute colitis, but showed no chronic/inflammation changes."

I emailed her back for more explanation, but I haven't heard anything yet. Can anyone tell me what this exactly means?

Thanks, guys!

I don't know what that means, but I always recommend requesting a copy of the pathology report. Esp if all I get is a message from a nurse.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Colitis is generally a reference to the large bowel only.

Acute colitis means there is swelling and inflammation present but not the sort of physiological changes in the bowel you would expect to see with a chronic inflammatory condition like IBD.

That's not to say that this isn't a pre chronic stage though and if it persists a more chronic pattern may appear making it consistent with IBD.

Dusty. xxx

sounds to me like you have acute patches of inflammation maybe ulcers caused by colitis but haven't caused any bowel wall thickening or structural damage that you would get with long standing inflammation, but I could be completely wrong.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
That's not to say that this isn't a pre chronic stage though and if it persists a more chronic pattern may appear making it consistent with IBD.
I am quite sure these were the same biopsy results I had with my first colonoscopy last July. However, my biopsies this past February were normal. So, if I continue to get the acute colitis results, that should be enough for my GI to put her small doubt of this not being Crohn's to rest?

Maybe a silly question but did the doc's assistant email you the correct results if they were the same as your 1st, maybe she sent you these again? (just checking!!)

Where abouts where the biopsies taken from?

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Maybe a silly question but did the doc's assistant email you the correct results if they were the same as your 1st, maybe she sent you these again? (just checking!!)

Where abouts where the biopsies taken from?
Oh, jeez, I don't know. It's quite possible. To be honest, the 1st biopsies were taken in July of last year. So, perhaps she looked at the wrong year? If she ever emails me back, I will mention it.

The biopsies were taken in numerous locations in the last 20cm of my colon through a flex sig.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
After checking that they are actually the right results! :eek2:...I don't imagine you would continue with acute colitis results over an extended period of time. At some point that inflammation would go from acute to chronic and the biopsies should reflect that change.

Extended periods of inflammation would cause structural change that should at some point lead to a definitive cause and diagnosis.

You could have acute colitis last July, then normal, then back to acute colitis now. The question would have to be does this fit the symptoms at the time of the scopes and if so what is causing the acute inflammation?

Dusty. xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
You could have acute colitis last July, then normal, then back to acute colitis now. The question would have to be does this fit the symptoms at the time of the scopes and if so what is causing the acute inflammation?

Dusty. xxx
Yes, my symptoms were pretty much the same each time the biopsies said acute colitis. In Februaruy when the biopsies were normal, I was only experiencing rectal pressure and mucus (no excessive trips to the bathroom, D, or blood).

I would love to get an official answer as to what is causing the acute inflammation. My first GI dignosed me with Crohn's right off the bat. My 2nd and current GI believes it is quite possible to be Crohn's, but she still has her doubts as she has not seen "chronic changes".

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I would love to get an official answer as to what is causing the acute inflammation.
I bet you would!

How much of a part is your medication playing in this though?

Does it have you in a holding pattern? Not resolving the problem but keeping it enough at bay to prevent changes taking place? Just thinking out loud here.

Dusty. xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I bet you would!

Does it have you in a holding pattern? Not resolving the problem but keeping it enough at bay to prevent changes taking place? Just thinking out loud here.

Dusty. xxx
Good questions. Since starting my medicine, I often had symptomatic days, but on average was functioning at like 80%? But in May, June, and early July I felt great! I mean, I was usually functioning at 90-100%. I thought I was in remission. And then BAM! So, I just don't know. But my GI won't change my meds until she is 100% confident it is Crohn's.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Perhaps you need to come off the meds to see the what is really happening, particularly the Cortisone enemas???

Dusty. xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thanks, Dusty, for all your insight. My husband and I did ask my GI if I stopped my meds, would the biopsies show chronic changes. But she it wouldn't make a difference.

I have been off and on suppositories and enemas this year. I am not sure if they help or not. But my GI said to take the cortisone enemas if I didn't improve. I really need some relief, so I started taking them on Saturday. It's too soon to tell if they are working.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I sure hope you get some solid answers and relief very soon Jill. Good luck hun and keep us posted on how things go...:hug:

Dusty. xxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Sorry to hear you are going through this maybe/ maybe not bs Jill! Whatever it is, it ain't good and they need to help you get over it!!