• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Biopsy scheduled

biopsy scheduled

I have had "attacks" of abdominal pain, diarrhea, fever for the last 12 years. I have had my appendix and gallbladder removed and blamed for these attacks. I do have diverticulosis and rheumatoid arthritis. Most of the time, I have flare-ups a 2-3 times a year. This time the flare-up has lasted about 6 months and i have lost 45 pounds. I will feel better for a couple of weeks and then the diarrhea and cramping starts again. I have had 3 CTs that show thickening in the terminal illeum. Colonoscopy was normal but only went to level of cecum. GI is convinced that I have Crohns but no positive results to prove it. He wants to do another colonoscopy and go into the illeum to do a biopsy. My question is, can crohns be detected if i am not having active symptoms at time of biopsy? Its has been very frustrating to not be able to get this under control or get any answers. Thanks for your help

yes they can tell by the way it looks. When they took my biopsy they knew right away that I had crohn's. It will also determine if it is just ibs (irritable bowel syndrome). Hope this advice helps!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi CB :welcome: to the forum. Having another scope with a biopsy will help a great deal, but he has to get it in the right spot and take mulitple biospies, or sometimes it can be missed. Took me many times. I have my appendix out (exploratory surgery) and my gallbladder out too and yes they do mimic Crohn's attacks. If you have another scope and it doesn't show up, and you still have symptoms, chances are you could be a hard one to get a diagnosis. Not always easy. I am assuming you are in the states?

Let us know what the scope results and biopsies are, always someone here to help you out.

:hang: