• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Birthplace of Crohns/colitis/IB? UK

When I heard on a radio that 1 in 257 people in the UK get crohns and the fact that only 500,000 people out of 300 million people living in the USA get crohns it had me thinking.

It just shows you that South Africa which is mostly European from the UK have the mutated gene. Then you have Australia which was a prison for UK citizens hundreds of years ago before being a continent. The UK would dump prisoners there. Then to end it we have UK citizens that have immigrated to the USA.

I think its interesting and it all points back the UK where this started IMHO. Heres the main gene http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/ATG16L1.

It seems the UK is full of evolution and genes being changed / mutated. Keep in mind the UK is where Red Hair and very white skin genes evolved and nowhere else does this happen (not Alaska, south pole, north pole). Really interesting to me.

I cant deny the fact my last name is IRISH LOL MURPHY:hallo3:

My nephew has crohns, and he has red hair and freckles. My daughter has Crohns and her heritage includes, Scottish, Irish, German, French, Canadian and American Indian. Interesting...
I also heard that Crohns is prevalant in the Jewish community.

Thanks for the link...

David,

the Genes link is quite mind boggling. So each person with Crohns falls into at least one of those categories? How do we find out which one? does it mean that they have more of a chance to get the other diseases listed.

For instance, I saw the one that includes breast cancer, and know that runs deeply on my side of the family, which I believe has the Crohns gene. Should we find out what Gene b has?

Probably a lot of questions you cant answer...

very interesting link. thank-you.

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
Julie, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your questions. The genetics side of Crohn's still very much boggles my mind as well. You're welcome to respond to that wiki article with your questions though. I'm sure our Science Advisor would be happy to answer them.

Does the Prometheus test give a personalized result of which gene/genes of yours are responsible for the development of Crohn's?

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
What types of labs are best to do personal DNA/genetic testing and how much does something like that typically cost? Is it a specific type of DNA/Genetic test that would need to be performed in order to detect these associated with crohn's/colitis/celiac?

***Also does anyone know how accurate DNA tests are?

I think this is a very interesting topic and I thank our Science Advisor for taking the time to put this information together for us! :thumleft:

My sister just recently underwent a genetic test to see if she is at risk of getting crohn's as part of a study. The top and bottom 25% of participants at risk are having a pill cam to see if there are any signs of crohn's. She is having hers next week. Then she gets the pill cam and genetic results in the post. I think she's nervous!

I know that http://www.23andme.com does genetic testing, although personally I think I'd be too afraid to find out everything I'd be susceptible to getting!

The following gives more information on genes and Crohn's disease
https://www.23andme.com/health/Crohns-Disease/

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Thanks for the link. I think I have heard of 23andme before. Aren't they supposed to be a very popular testing facility/group?

I'm not sure how I would feel about actually going through it, but I would probably be nervous at first too!

I am in the very curious phase right now.

If you and your sister are willing to share, I would love to hear how her testing experience was!

My sister just recently underwent a genetic test to see if she is at risk of getting crohn's as part of a study. The top and bottom 25% of participants at risk are having a pill cam to see if there are any signs of crohn's. She is having hers next week. Then she gets the pill cam and genetic results in the post. I think she's nervous!

I know that http://www.23andme.com does genetic testing, although personally I think I'd be too afraid to find out everything I'd be susceptible to getting!

The following gives more information on genes and Crohn's disease
https://www.23andme.com/health/Crohns-Disease/

I think genetic testing brings up a lot of moral issues. Like, if insurance companies or banks etc get hold of them and how much difference would they make to your lifestyle.

I was glad when my sister went for the study though because she always gets stomach problems that are never bad enough to go to the doctors. If the pil cam doesn't pick up anything, at least she'll know if she should be concerned or not in the future. But yes, I shall report back on the results!