• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bit of advice

Hi I have had Crohn's 16 years and as there was no treatment left 8 weeks ago I had an illestomy, however finding it hard to know what's normal and if I should be concerned, in the morning I can get green/yellow gloop until I eat and then it starts to thicken as day goes on I have been told not to worry as some things will take longer to digest than other so some days the output amount etc can change, but sometimes it's a runny dark green, I'm finding it all a bit mind messing, anyone that can reassure would be great, thanks, Louise xx

I've only had an ileostomy for 7 weeks but my output fluctuates from liquid to oatmeal/applesauce consistency depending on what I eat. The more fiber I eat, the thicker it gets. Color can be yellow, green, or brown, even red(from eating tomato soup). I think you only have to worry if it stays liquid and your output is over 1200cc for a number of days, which can indicate diarrhea. Normal ileostomy output is around 800-1200cc a day.

Thanks, sounds like me which is good as that sounds normal, this was supposed to give me new lease of life and I'm tiring myself out by analysing colours/textures, how often, I'm usually a go with the flow person this has stumped me but thanks for reassuring me xxxx

Hi Louise, the descriptions of your output all sound perfectly normal for a baby stoma. They are weird and wonderful things but they take their time to settle in and start developing a pattern. If you see blood in the output or are concerned contact your stoma nurse for some advice. Congrats on your new stoma.

Thanks tommy, I keep hearing this expression baby stoma, lol, I was at a support group sat and that really helped, I had been worrying it was too thick, then this week it was quite runny and have been more tired than I have been for a while, I think if I try to just relax then hopefully ill start to feel the benefits, thanks for replying and helping me to feel better about things, greatly appreciated xxxxx