• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blender versus juicer?

Looking for opinions as to which is a healthier option, at least as it pertains to those with crohns. I like the idea of having the fiber in a more digestible form but not sure it's a great idea. Thoughts?

Also, if I do decide on a blender, do ones like vitamix and blendtec make a difference over something like a ninja? Don't want to spend the money if its not necessary but am willing to do it for my health if it'll make a difference

I'm sorry as I'm sure this has been posted before but I was having trouble navigating the site via my phone. Thank you.

Looking for opinions as to which is a healthier option, at least as it pertains to those with crohns. I like the idea of having the fiber in a more digestible form but not sure it's a great idea. Thoughts?

Also, if I do decide on a blender, do ones like vitamix and blendtec make a difference over something like a ninja? Don't want to spend the money if its not necessary but am willing to do it for my health if it'll make a difference

I'm sorry as I'm sure this has been posted before but I was having trouble navigating the site via my phone. Thank you.

I will try to tag Gianni in this post. He is big on juicing.

I have a vitamix and I will say it is the best blender I have ever owned...hands down. I purchased a reconditioned unit from the vitamix website and that saved me $$. I called and asked lots of questions about buying reconditioned. It is simply the blenders that are returned within the 30 day return period but with a new container. I will post the link below.

https://secure.vitamix.com/Reconditioned-Blender-64-Ounce-5yr.aspx

Now, juicing verses blending...I think it will depend on your specific digestive system and how it responds to fiber. If you can puree the fiber and still be able to digest then great, but not everyone can do that. Another thought is to buy the a really great blender like the Vitamix and then if you can't handle the fiber you can strain it through a nut milk bag and you will have juice in the end. This is what I currently do and I find it much easier to clean than my old juicer (it was so difficult to clean).

I am sure there are others who will be able to help you more.

rygon

Juicers tend to slowly squeeze the juice out so the low temperature doesnt break down the vitamins and minerals. It also removes most of the solids. The juicer Ive got also does other things like salsa, butter nuts, olive oil, pasta etc.

Heres the juicer ive got http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=28345

Its so easy to clean as well :)
Also it turns out you shouldnt juice the pith as not only does it not juice well it tastes disgusting

I vote juicer :) for my crohns belly i need that harsh fiber removed and i love juicing. I do a very green based juice (i.e. kale, cucumber, carrot, beets, and a pear) that when blended is too much fiber for my belly. Maybe you can try a juice from both, see if you have any friends that have one of each and see how your belly reacts? but in terms of belly friendly, for me juicing a 100%.. good luck!

For someone with crohns and wants mostly veggies I would go with a juicer. The veggie fiber is too hard on your system. Plus the capability of making wheatgrass, and other alkaline shots are a plus.

If you are doing mostly fruits not so much veggies a blender would be better. Never had a ninja but I have had about 8 blenders in the past 4 years before I decided to just go all out and get a blendtec. I do large fruit smoothies everyday so needed something that can take the punishment. Got mine at costco's came with an 8 year warranty. Amazing blender and has lasted me much longer than anything else I've had. Highly recommend a blendtec or vitamix if you do end up with a blender. I rarely use my juicer anymore thats how much I enjoy it.

In the end I would say for most crohns/uc suffers especially the ones who are in bad shape a juicer is a much better option. If you were a healthy individual however, I would say the blender is better. Just my 2 cents.

nogutsnoglory

If you have narrowing I would definitely say a juicer. If you are ok and can handle the fiber it's very important to have it in your diet.

Vitamix is the best, it's very powerful and it is what raw vegans use and I consider them experts on handling fruits and veg.