• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blind spots in the eyes?

J

JillianB82

I posted on this subject a few months ago & since then it seemed to have stop, but last night, I had the same problem.

Around 11:00pm last night I started to feel a slight headache coming on. It just really just in one spot, the back right side of my head. I really did not think anything of it, then it moved to the left side. I decided to go crawl into bed & watch tv, thinking that would help. Within 30mins the pain was all around my head & then the blind spots started. I would look at the clock & the time was 11:25, but I could only see 1:25. If I moved my head just so, I could only see 3 numbers at a time. If I closed my eyes, I was almost seeing "fireworks."

I finally fell asleep around midnight & woke up around 1 today, which I almost never do.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

J

JillianB82

Beth...I've had migrains before, but it wasn't like the headache caused the bind spots. It felt like it was seperate. If that makes any sense. LOL

J

JillianB82

Ed,

I saw your post on FB. I go back to the GI in a few weeks, maybe I will have him run some more tests.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
You wouldn't happen to consume aspartame? I used to drink lots of coffee with aspartame when those symptoms happened to me.

J

JillianB82

Not recently, this week I've just been drinking bottled water.

I had some really weird symptoms with my eyesight, mentioned on a thread on this forum (somewhere). Someone suggested it might be what is known as an "ocular migraine" and since had it confirmed by the doctor. No headache involved, but starts with blind spots - right in the central part of vision, so I couldn't read a complete word on a computer screen - a bit like you missing out a number on a clock. Then it expands into a really psychedelic display, until it disappears out of view, within the space of 30-40 minutes. Seriously worrying when you don't know what it is.
I have a long period between attacks (I mean years) and have no idea what sets it off

A

acuisle

I've had that & the eye Dr told me it is ocular migraines. The weird "blind spots" (which aren't really--if you cover one eye, then the other, it turns out both see just fine) come abt 15-20 minutes before the headahce. They are called the "aura."

She told me she has it, too, and since she is an eye surgeon I trust she knows what she is seeing!

Sometimes they are accompanied by a strange zig zag light show in which an area of my visual field looks exactly like a Cubist painting, but the raggedy edges are moving.

It's actually the visual part of your brain being stimulated to give you an hallucination, by a blood vessel. The trick for me is to take 2 aspirin (not tylenol) and a mug of strong black coffee. That heads off the headache before it starts. Works like a charm.

There are Drs who think you should not drink a lot of coffee because you will get "rebound headaches" if you suddenly stop, but they haven't had migraines. Drinking a mug o' Joe on the rare occasions a migraine is starting isn't going to give you rebound headaches.

J

JillianB82

acuisle said:
I've had that & the eye Dr told me it is ocular migraines. The weird "blind spots" (which aren't really--if you cover one eye, then the other, it turns out both see just fine) come abt 15-20 minutes before the headahce. They are called the "aura."

She told me she has it, too, and since she is an eye surgeon I trust she knows what she is seeing!

Sometimes they are accompanied by a strange zig zag light show in which an area of my visual field looks exactly like a Cubist painting, but the raggedy edges are moving.

It's actually the visual part of your brain being stimulated to give you an hallucination, by a blood vessel. The trick for me is to take 2 aspirin (not tylenol) and a mug of strong black coffee. That heads off the headache before it starts. Works like a charm.

There are Drs who think you should not drink a lot of coffee because you will get "rebound headaches" if you suddenly stop, but they haven't had migraines. Drinking a mug o' Joe on the rare occasions a migraine is starting isn't going to give you rebound headaches.
This is exactly what is happening to me!!!! Wow! Thank you so much for the advice!!! I actually take tylenol & that seems to take it away.

Sounds very similar to mine, except I don't get the headaches (??!!?) But I'm not much of a headachey person anyway.
The psychedelic display is something that some people would pay a lot of money for, but I can do without it.
Jillian, I'd be tempted to mention it to the doc next time you go, just for extra peace of mind. But now you know what is, maybe you'll notice whether it's triggered by too much/ too little caffeine or whatever

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
I was going to ask if it was a migraine w/aura. I have had migraines that came out suddenly around 2 years ago. They're finally under control now.

Good luck, Jilly Bean. Let us know what happens!