• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bloated and worried.

I've recently been in a flare for almost a month now. I got out of it for 4 days then it came back(my own fault). Now, I've been drinking liquids only for the past coupled of days. Today I started clear liquids only, I've only ingested jello and chicken broth. I am extremely bloated right now and idk why as I am usually not this bloated off liquids even when I am flaring. Any ideas as to why??

Are you on any meds? Prednisone can cause a bloat. Also, I've had awful bloating due to stricture that basically blocked my ileum. WHen they did imagery, my intestines looked like big balloons! Have you had any imagery done lately? The MRE is a good one.

I just got put on predisone, also taking imuran. The doctors think I have an obstruction. So they have arranged me to meet with a surgeon. Do you have any tips on how to relieve gas? Like gas-x or anything? Or would that just hurt more?

When I had my stricture/obstruction gas was really hard to pass and very painful. Make sure not to eat food that produces gas like beans or broccoli. I've used Gas-x before - it's didn't make it worse but not sure it helped either - worth a shot. Also, you can try getting on your hand and knees and sticking your butt up in the air for a few min...sometimes that helps the gas escape.

Thanks. I also red your other reply to my comment on another thread. It sounds like I have a full obstruction. I threw up the other day a few times. It's been like this for a month even on liquid only. I also have this area on my lower left and right, right by my hips, that protrude immensely. My doctor has me setup to see a surgeon. Kind of nervous as i'm going to college and can't afford to have to drop it. I also don't want to deal with a stoma or an colostomy bag.

With a full obstruction, you wouldn't be able to pass any gas or stools at all, and it would be DANGEROUS to ingest anything at all. By this time, hopefully the prednisone is helping you somewhat, but if you start vomiting again, get terrible cramping, or stop passing gas/stool totally then you should go to the ER. A full bowel obstruction is a medical emergency.

Either way, your symptoms sound very serious. When is your next appointment with a doctor?

If you do have to get surgery, it doesn't necessarily mean that you need a stoma or a bag. I had surgery less than 1 month ago and they just cut out the stricture and then sewed the intestine back together, and I'm feeling really good.

Generally speaking, with surgery, you'd have to take off at least 3 weeks from school, and most schools have certain policies for medical stuff, so check in with your teachers about it if you need to. Maybe they can give you assignments to do while in the hospital so you can stay caught up?

With a full obstruction, you wouldn't be able to pass any gas or stools at all, and it would be DANGEROUS to ingest anything at all. By this time, hopefully the prednisone is helping you somewhat, but if you start vomiting again, get terrible cramping, or stop passing gas/stool totally then you should go to the ER. A full bowel obstruction is a medical emergency.

Either way, your symptoms sound very serious. When is your next appointment with a doctor?

If you do have to get surgery, it doesn't necessarily mean that you need a stoma or a bag. I had surgery less than 1 month ago and they just cut out the stricture and then sewed the intestine back together, and I'm feeling really good.

Generally speaking, with surgery, you'd have to take off at least 3 weeks from school, and most schools have certain policies for medical stuff, so check in with your teachers about it if you need to. Maybe they can give you assignments to do while in the hospital so you can stay caught up?
thanks for your replies, man. I met with the surgeon and I do indeed need surgery. It's on the 5th and it's highly unlikely I'll need a stoma and if so it won't be permanent. I'm pretty excited. That being said, do they typically remove the affected area, or just the area that's scarred(causing obstruction)