• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

BLOATING 4 weeks post op

The bloating is what's preventing me from returning to work!!!
I can't wear dress pants LOL honestly though, I am only comfortable in joggers or PJ pants. Is this normal??? I had a bowel resection 4 weeks ago. I thought that by now I'd feel more like myself, but it's really taking it's time.
Any advice, suggestions, stories from others who've had this heavy, bloating feeling after 4 weeks or more after surgery?
I am no longer swollen, everything else seems somewhat normal lol, just a REALLY heavy feeling in my lower gut!
Thanks

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Kacey , I was ok after mine but it took 6 weeks. Are you avoid dairy at the moment? Meds are you on to help? :hang: still a bit early, don't panic. Did you have your surgery in Sudbury Hospital?

Yes I did have the surgery in Sudbury. I am on Imuran, which I JUST resumed since after the surgery. I was on it prior, but I basically went off of everything (food included) for about 9 days before the surgery. I just had a TB test and X-ray, they want me on Remicade in the new year.

I should also mention I am on Vitamin D and Calcium, & B12 Tablets. And that I haven't been avoiding much of anything-food wise! When I left the hospital, if I had to guess, I was about 80 lbs!!! Not exaggerating either. I'm about 90lbs now.

Hang in there as i to found relief from the bloating in about 6 weeks. It is worth a little discomfort know as i am a new person after the op - so happy - not perfect - but happy!
It will ease. K xxx

Nyx

I didn't have a resection, but when I had my colostomy surgery it took a good 6 - 8 weeks for the bloating to go down. They get in there and move your guts all around, it's kind of understandable that they need time to settle back down again.

I hope it abates for you soon!

Thanks guys! It is at least comforting to know that it's normal!!
Is something like Gas X or Oval worth trying? It's so annoying, I just want to wear pants!