• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bloating of stomach

I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 5 years ago. Last year I had to have a resection. My stricture got so narrow which caused blockages. I'm still on Pentasa, but will start Humira next week.
For days now my stomach is so bloated that it causes pain. I'm able to relieve some gas, but my stomach still stays bloated. It don't make a difference what or how much I eat.

Any advice?

For days now my stomach is so bloated that it causes pain. I'm able to relieve some gas, but my stomach still stays bloated. It don't make a difference what or how much I eat. Any advice?
Do you think there is ANY connection at all to diet?

I get very bad pain, internal gas and terrible stomach bloating that hangs around for days, if I eat:

1) Chicken, pork and beef (ok with fish)
2) Dairy products like milk and cheese
3) Any product containing wheat and gluten

With the wheat and gluten the bloating is so bad; I will get asked "when is the baby due"!

I recently did an elimination diet where I completely avoided wheat and gluten for twelve weeks. The bloating completely disappeared over that time period. I had a flat tummy and had to buy new clothes.

I then tried eating a sandwich made with wheat / gluten bread, and bloated right back up again.

Stomach bloating is connected to inflammation and gluten is very inflammatory.

But it also could be connected to something as simple as good and bad digestion.

If you are not adequately breaking down and absorbing your food, due to lack of stomach enzymes, leaky gut or fermentation within the gut due to poor food combining, then this can also cause bloating, wind and pain.

I'm able to relieve some gas
What is your method for doing this?

I find the ONLY way, is to lay on my side on the floor or bed, gently press my abdomen area and it just automatically happens.

But obviously I cannot lay on the floor when out in public - so wondering what other methods people use to relieve internal gas.

Thanks, so much for your suggestions. I will try the elimination diet.
It is the best way - or at least I have found it to be.

But you need to be very strict and totally 100% avoid whatever food you are testing for the set period.

I like to go twelve weeks just to be sure. But you could maybe do it in eight?!

Google "elimination diet" there are hundreds of different ways and suggestions on doing it. Information overload :ylol:

Very simply:

Avoid the food you are testing for set period.

And then note your reaction over a few days once you re-introduce it.

Sometimes you will need to eat it every day for a week or so after re-introducing before a reaction occurs.

But my reaction occurred within 48 hours.

If no reaction - then you are pretty safe to eat it. You then move onto the next food to test.

Some people do more than one food at once, but I don't understand how that would work - I mean how would you know exactly what the culprit was? I suggest doing only one food at once.

Wow

As if I needed any more proof that elimination tests work!

I flared up quite badly in January after the indulgences of Christmas holidays. Lots of pain and diarrhea and emergency dashes.

Then for three weeks I avoided food (apart from chia seed gel) and went on a liquid diet of broths, herbal teas, veggie juices and water.

My flare settled down within a week, and then I continued on with the liquid for a fortnight afterwards. I then re-introduced solid gluten-free vegan foods.

Up until last night all was brilliant. I was having one well-formed bowel movement every morning, no pains and my life was going perfectly.

Two days ago I had chicken stew. Yesterday I had a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch. And last night had chicken and prawn risotto. This morning (just now) I lost bowel control for the first time in over a month.

Back to basics again :)

guest20

ellazmeanie
This is where i get confused when other's talk about bloating or distention they mention they have it for weeks and it comes and goes in flares,have had continual distention for 22 year's no actual pain but the most distressing breathing discomfort.Now in more recent times i have body aches tremors insomnia and i stink so bad sometimes i wish i could exit the room and leave the smell behind,have the worst brain fog.

guest20

ellazmeanie
Have believed for quite sometime about the possibility that i may have sibo/sbbo have asked gp's and gi's for the breath test some fob me off with the iv'e not heard of that excuse and other's just point blank refuse to give me the test at all.Over the 20 year's iv'e had these symptoms they just repeat the same two or three tests over and over ie gastroscopes endoscopes sigmoids also mri ct and ultrasound,the most recent mri found an unrelated routine vein abnormality in my forehead which may explain temporal headaches i have suffered.The gastroscope in January found one polyp i'm still awaiting histology results.A recent full blood tests showed imflammation and a liver reading that though gp's say it's no concern doesn't seem right.As far as i understand if the stomach issues are sibo it's fairly simple to treat.Up until about 2 year's ago the gut stuff was never an issue that it stopped me functioning i have mild copd and fell ill with pneumonia which lasted around 3 months and ended with temporal headaches which they thought was temporal arteries and a long course of prednisone iv'e not felt right since though now i'm not on any medication except inhalers gp's where i live now seem to have written me off completely.

guest20

ellazmeanie
After i return from my holiday i am going to approach the uk pal service for advice and by then i have follow up appointments with nuerology and the gi so will see where we go from there