• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood clots common with Crohns?

Hello everyone. I recently had a blood clot in my leg. Luckily it was in a superficial vein so was not as serious as if it had happened in a deep vein, lungs or brain. I had a deep vein thrombosis and a pulmonary embolism a few years ago that almost did me in. Spent two weeks in ICU after being being resuscitated.

Anyways, while being treated for the clot, my GP told me that blood clots were most likely a result of Crohns. I had never heard this and was wondering if this is common among people with Crohns.

What do you all think?

butt-eze

Superstar
I had a blood clot in my leg/groin area while I was in the hospital once. I required a filter to be placed and 6 months of coumadin. I haven't been told it's linked to crohn's but I wouldn't be surprised if we have yet another complication related to this fabulously complicated disease we call Crohn's.

Thanks for the replies. I have did a little research and found that having Crohn's and ulcerative colitis are risk factors for developing blood clots. There is a lot of information on the Internet about DVT and PE. I think it would be wise for Crohn's patients to learn about the symptoms of DVT and PE since we are at a higher risk for these life threatening conditions.

Turmeric, Ginger and Fish oil will thin the blood slightly and are anti-inflammatory.

You can treat many Crohn's symptoms with these three supplements alone. If clots are a problem they should help somewhat.

Dan

As I recently found out that yes, blodd clots are common with crohn's, I had a DVT in my right arm, still there.......like my :voodoo: terminal illeum,,,,,,,

I'lll knife you soon! :p I was talking to my intestines btw....:p