• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood in stool but feel fine...worried

Hi, I was in a flare a few weeks ago, off prednisone now and feel fine but noticed pink/red blood in my stool. Not a lot just some for the last few days. I've never had this before. I have had CD for 23 years in the terminal ileum. I have a colonoscopy at the end of October. Should I be concerned? I'm a worried that it could be colon cancer.

Last edited:
I would be concerned and I would let your doctor know. I wish the best. Please let us know how you are. I am not sure of the significance between the blood being pink or red. Someone else reading this will probably be able to know about that.

Lord knows I'm no expert. I do know that it's amazing how a tiny drop of blood from a capillary can turn a normally clear color to pink or light red. Having said that, however, I'd definitely have it checked or mention it when discussing your colonoscopy.

Do you ever have hemorrhoid issues? If so, it could be from that. My GI always says it isn't as concerning if it is bright red or pink, but more so if it black, tarry like. I bleed rectally almost on a daily basis and thefirst few times it was very frightening. Never in my life did I think would actually get use to this. It is definitely a good thing to have your colonoscopy checked, especially since this is new for you. Well wishes!

scottsma

I was on a months course of pred.last year,and towards the end had a lot of blood in the loo bowl during every B.M. sometimes 3-4 times daily.I felt fine and chose to ignore it.It cleared after a few days.I'm NOT advocating you ignore it though.If you're concerned then at least get in touch with your family doctor.We're all different,and I tend to wait and see,for a day or two at least.Luckily I haven't had any emergencies,so far.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it being colon cancer or anything like that. More likely it's cause by some sort of inflammation somewhere in your GI track. I that for a long time back at the beginning before and right after I was diagnosed. It was definitely a warning sign to go see the doctor, and they would usually take a stool sample, but it was never anything too scary. That being said definitely consult a doctor especially since this is the first time you're seeing blood in your stool. Although even now if I get blood it's usually when I need to up the dosage or change medications.