• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood in Stool

Unlike a lot of Crohnies, this is new to me. Today I started having blood with my stools. The blood is actually outside of the stool. As of a colonoscopy last spring I did not have hemroids so I am thinking that is not the issue. The blood is bright red which indicates it is happening somewhere near the end of the process. It scares me.

What else can cause this? Fissures, Fistulas? How long would you wait before calling your G.I.? :(

Call now if it's new but that is very very very common with Crohn's I've done it on and off for as long as I can remember. Fistulas, abceses, ulcers etc there easy to get an hard to fix

I too experience this off/on. But it is usually very mild (not much blood) and doesn't last long. I believe mine is due to small reoccurring fissure. Mine is only on toilet paper, usually not in stool or dripping into toilet. I think a call to MD couldn't hurt! Especially if its not normal for you.

Bright red blood floating in the toilet is very common. It can be a result of CD or something minor like a fissure. I've had CD for 35 years and my doctor is much less concerned about red blood floating in the toilet. It's the dark blood which is mixed in the stool which always alerts my doctor. That's not to say that bright red blood is not an indicator of something serious. I would speak with your doctor and let him/her assess the issue.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Is the blood happening every time, or only every so often? I was passing blood every couple weeks or so, bright red and sometimes a lot of it. My GI explained it sounded like hemmies - he said if it was ulcers, then the bleeding would be happening every time I went to the bathroom. Hemmies can bleed off and on like what I was experiencing. At my last colonocopy, it was confirmed that I have internal hemmies. Best to get checked out just in case - it could be hemmies, fissures, ulcers, or even something like salmonella causing the bleeding. Your GP can run stool samples and do a rectal exam to check for the most likely causes.

The blood is, so far, happening every time, but it has only been three times in a row. Last time it was mixed in the stool. I am going to take another day or so, because it is not a lot of blood, then call the doc if nothing has changed. Humira shot is tomorrow, will see if that makes a difference.

SarahBear

Whether or not it continues, your doctor needs to know about it. Keeping them well informed allows them to better treat you. Besides, they can better determine the cause of the bleeding (which definitely needs to be done).

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I had bright red bleeding coming from my TI. It is possible for bright red to come from much higher up be it from inflammation or ulcers etc. Always let your doctor know about any changes. The bleeding may be an indication that your current treatment plan isn't enough and your GI needs to know about that so they can provide better care. Hope it clears up. Keep us posted. :)

I have made the call to the doctor. Appointment is not until the 22nd and it is with the PA.I am continuing to bleed, but it is not a lot and since the first one it has not been dripping blood. Don't worry folks I am getting in to be seen.

Unlike a lot of Crohnies, this is new to me. Today I started having blood with my stools. The blood is actually outside of the stool. As of a colonoscopy last spring I did not have hemroids so I am thinking that is not the issue. The blood is bright red which indicates it is happening somewhere near the end of the process. It scares me.

What else can cause this? Fissures, Fistulas? How long would you wait before calling your G.I.? :(
Hi, im new to this but feel i must share, 10 weeks ago i stopped smoking and guess what, i started bleeding, blood in my stools, all different shapes and sizes, i was really worried, goin to the toilet about 6 times a day, so went to the doctors who sent me for a colonoscopy, diagnosed ulcerative colitis sent 4 biopsies off which they tell me is standard procedure. then i started looking on the net a few people who had stopped smoking had started having this, 3 days ago i smoked 4 fags and to my amazement ive gone from 8 toiled visits to none in 2 days and no blood. i really dont want to smoke but if its a choice between the fags or the toilet visits and blood im goin to smoke, im giving it another week on the fags and then cutting them out again and hopefully there will be no episodes of blood we shall see,.

I've had bright red blood on my stools for maybe about 3 months. Every time I go to the toilet there's a very small amount there. The doc told me that's just from the inflammation and he didn't really seem to bothered. I've begged him for a colonoscopy and now i'm on a long nhs waiting list...

Hi, im new to this but feel i must share, 10 weeks ago i stopped smoking and guess what, i started bleeding, blood in my stools, all different shapes and sizes, i was really worried, goin to the toilet about 6 times a day, so went to the doctors who sent me for a colonoscopy, diagnosed ulcerative colitis sent 4 biopsies off which they tell me is standard procedure. then i started looking on the net a few people who had stopped smoking had started having this, 3 days ago i smoked 4 fags and to my amazement ive gone from 8 toiled visits to none in 2 days and no blood. i really dont want to smoke but if its a choice between the fags or the toilet visits and blood im goin to smoke, im giving it another week on the fags and then cutting them out again and hopefully there will be no episodes of blood we shall see,.
Hi mejulie and welcome to the forum. What you describe with your first appearance of UC after smoking cessation is not an uncommon presentation. I was the same way. Every time I stopped smoking, I had diarrhea, pain and bleeding. Smoking cigarettes does seem to keep symptoms at bay for people with UC, but the opposite is true for those with Crohn's disease--cigarette smoking can actually make their symptoms worse. Also, keep in mind that cigarette smoking does not actually cure UC, but only puts it into remission.

I have made the call to the doctor. Appointment is not until the 22nd and it is with the PA.I am continuing to bleed, but it is not a lot and since the first one it has not been dripping blood. Don't worry folks I am getting in to be seen.
Of course, after making the appointment, the bleeding stops. Hmmm.