• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood in stools

Trysha

Staff member
blood in stools

I have been getting blood in stools for the past two months.
This week the amount has escalated to very obvious bright red blood in the toilet bowl as well as the blood contained within th stools.
There is also some mucus.
I have chronic pain in the left lower quadrant which is always worse at night.
The Chrohn's is in the left colon
Tonight I have had a bowel movement, some urgency and then stool with bright red blood and clots in the toilet bowl.
I am not sure what steps I should be taking next.
When I saw the GI in late August he gave me a choice of cortisone enemas or doing nothing.
I chose to do nothing medication wise but started a restrictive BRAT diet.
The bleeding continued.
I have no appetite and not eating does not bother me unless I get to feeling weak.
I then tried increasing the soluble fibre .
Still bleeding.
My hair has fallen out and I have lost about 50%, I have tried eating an egg more frequently and tried some meat dishes, which is very hard to eat since I am not a meat eater.
This evening I had urgency and a bowel movement,with more blood and clots than I have experienced before.
Now I don't know what to do.
My regular GP appointment is in about three weeks, and the GI appointment in December.
I am afraid to call anybody since I don't want to make a fuss in case it is hemmeroids.
My last endoscopy was four months ago and the Crohn's was only mild at that time.
Any ideas would be welcome
Trysha

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
It sounds like you need to see your GI doctor sooner if possible. You said the blood recently became bright red, the further up the blood is, the less bright it will be so TO ME, it doesn't sound like you're dealing with hemmies. For me, blood is never normal and I always go to the ER straight away unless I'm seeing my GI within a day or two. I'd also like to stress that yes diet can play a role in triggering symptoms but a change in your diet will not do anything if your Crohn's has become active. It sounds to me like you need to start back up on some medication. Try contacting your GI doc and see if you can get in sooner (call and call and call if you have to because it doesn't sound like you're doing well and you need to be seen sooner).

Trysha

Staff member
hello Vonfunk
thank you for the support and helpful suggestion it is most appreciated
trysha

Trysha

Staff member
hello Crabby
Thank you for the message and observations.
you are correct in that I am not so well
I am very reluctant to call the GI since when we last met he had included
surgery as an option.
This would mean a colostomy and I told him that I would rather die than have that. I really meant it.He said the colostomy would be temporary but these things can end up being permanent. No thank you to that!
I will see how long I can stick it out although the amount of blood is a little worrisome.
Thank you for the support.
Trysha

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
The one I used was called cortifoam. The actual stuff wasn't nearly as bad as the the word "enema" implied.
You get this weird applicator syringe thing that you fill and to put things delicately insert. If the inflammation is in the lower colon then it should help a great deal. I was on it for a month or so during my failed transition from prednisone to imuran. It helped me survive a couple of weddings last year.

Trysha your doc cannot make you get a colostomy just because you go to an appt. Go get checked out so you know what's really going on and are well informed. Find out all your options again, and ask what this means, and what will continue to happen if you choose to ignore this. Rather than wondering at least make a well informed decision whatever you decide. Less info creates more stress because of the unknown. I hope you can find some answers and start getting better soon. Please keep us posted on how your doing. Best of luck to you and hang in there.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Trysha, there have been a lot of people on this forum with temporary stomas and those who have permanent ones. I think they would be able to answer any questions you have regarding stomas whether you need one or not. It's not the end of the world if you do get one. Don't forget that you can always seek out a second opinion rather than this one doctor who you feel might be pushing surgery. I think you would also benefit from counseling as refusing treatment is pretty near suicide. I don't like saying that but its the truth because you know what the outcome may be. I agree with Lucy that you should contact your GI anyway and talk about all of your options and like I said, if you don't like the options given, seek a second or 3rd opinion so you can make an informed decision. Take care of yourself. We're here for you no matter what happens.

Trysha

Staff member
the support from all of you has been very helpful and a great consolation to me since I live alone and do not discuss this illnesss with any of my friends.
Today I feel a little better and remain undecided as to any actions.
It is such an unpredictable condition.
I would not like to precipitate any undue medical or surgical action if I can manage
to get through this for myself.
Thank you all for "being there"
Trysha

It is understandable that you want to be as conservative as possible - I was the same way when in August I noticed bleeding for a week and kept it to myself; I did not want to make a fuss and did not want invasive treatment/diagnostic annoyances. However, once my family found out, they rushed me to the ER against my will where (in my particular case) I was told that if I had waited a few more weeks, I would have stopped menstruating (due to malabsorption), and the Crohn's would have progressed to the point where a colon removal was necessary. I'm glad that it was caught and treated in time, in that respect - so it is definitely something to consider; you never know what could be going on, and when holistic treatment and taking it easy isn't doing the trick, it's best to know the options.

Astra

Hi Trysha

If this isn't the 'norm' for you then something isn't right is it?
If I suddenly started bleeding, and never have before, I'd be worried, and straight to the docs, if it is 'only' a hemmie, then at least you've eliminated it, and the doc can give you something for it.
And if he starts harping on about surgery, tell him no, that you need to discuss other options and meds first, and if he doesn't listen, then get a second opinion.
good luck and make that appt
Joan xxx

Trysha

Staff member
thank you all for the helpful comments.
It has given me food for thought
Don't want to act prematurely and the thought of those invasive tests is a real turnoff.
Thanks again to all of you for helping
Trysha