• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood levels

Scipio

The usual reason for increased WBC is an infection of some sort. If they go way up and stay elevated it could be due to leukemia, but that's much less common than a simple infection.

I have not had my WBC go up due to Crohn's that I can recall.

The usual reason for increased WBC is an infection of some sort. If they go way up and stay elevated it could be due to leukemia, but that's much less common than a simple infection.

I was reading that taking prednisone could
Cause them to go up aswell?

my little penguin

Staff member
Correct steriods can raise all sorts of thing in your bloodwork
My kiddo has auto inflammatory which causes his to go high occasionally
Other times low
But steriods definitely can cause things to look off

my little penguin

Staff member
Another possibility in this case was WBC elevation because of the patient’s prednisone. Prednisone can increase WBC as early as the first day of therapy.3The elevation and rapidity of increase are dose related. The important pearl is that steroid-induced leukocytosis involves an increase of polymorphonuclear white blood cells with a rise in monocytes and a decrease in eosinophils and lymphocytes.

The dr said it was slightly up