• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood seen during colonoscopy

Hi,
I hope I’m posting this in the correct place, so I apologise if not!

I’m looking for a bit of advice really.
I’m 29 years old and I’ve suffered from abdominal pain for ten years plus. I’ve been under a gynaecologist all this time and they have struggled to diagnose anything other than fluid in my uterus and pouch of Douglas.
Five months ago I had a significant change in bm’s , I have been experiencing very loose or watery diarrhoea ten plus times a day, including blood within the stools, lots of mucus, significant pain in my lower left abdomen, reflux, and I’m very tired!
I had a referral to gastro and had elevated colprotectin levels 237 , not huge but my previous test a year ago was 55. My stomach is very tender and loud.

Yesterday I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy.
During the colonoscopy I was told they couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary, but they did mention there were lots of pockets of blood through my bowel and colon which I could see on screen. They couldn’t find a source of a bleed.

I had random biopsies taken and will await the results.
Obviously I’m very frustrated as I was hoping to have an answer but I understand people wait a long time for a diagnosis .

I cannot seem to find much info on blood pockets within the bowel and colon. Has anyone had this or have any idea what it is?

Thanks
Fliss

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
It sounds like you may have something bleeding further up the GI tract, where the scope couldn't go...have you been given any information of further testing to be done? Seeing blood definitely means that more investigation must be done. Are you anemic? That could be causing the tiredness.....

Thanks Lisa,
No they were pretty blasé to be honest. They just said I will see the consultant with results of the biopsies when they come through. So they didn’t give me an indication of anything really!
My last blood tests showed I am anemic and have high mean cell count.