• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood type diet

Does this have any use for Crohn's? Not so much for loosing weight but really for eating foods that are more in tune with your chemical makeup?

HD

For Crohns, I would recommend trying the SCD diet first. If SCD isn't effective, then I'd try GAPS, and then Paleo or an elimination diet. If none of these worked, then I might explore the blood type diet, I wouldn't start there. Not for Crohns.

These other diets address specific gastrointestinal issues, and are designed to try and help the body repair the damage, and restore the intestinal flora to the proper healthy balance.

A study was performed in 2011 at the Universty of Mass. Medical Center, in which patients with Crohns and UC were treated with a SCD "like" diet. 100% showed improvement. See link regarding study. http://foodrx.org/2012/01/big-news-...ike-diet-shows-huge-promise-for-treating-ibd/

Those results are actually better than the results obtained by pretty much medication, so that that's the diet I'd recommend trying first.

Of course, everyone is different, and what works for one does't necessarily work for all.

I began, and have continued, using the Blood Type Diet specifically because of my Crohn's.

I have had a very long history with Crohn's - years of non-diagnosis, pain, vomitting, diarrhoea, hospitalisations too numerous to mention, fistulas, three large-bowel resections, then, in 2000, a complete proctocolectomy. While attending the local Crohn's and Colitis group, I became fascinated by the fact that milk products, which had, in the words of my gastroenterologist, kept me alive during my worst manifestations of Crohn's, were not tolerated by a majority of the other members.

A little while after my proctocolectomy, which took seven months to heal because they had to remove so much diseased tissue, I happened to be passing time in a book shop. I picked up the first of the Blood Type Diet books and was looking at the back cover when, to my amazement, I read that the only blood group for which milk and milk products were beneficial was B. I am B+.

I read a lot about the diet and decided to give it a try. My GI was dubious about its benefits but, because all blood groups are able and advised to eat varied and balanced diets and are encouraged to eat fresh and, if possible, organic or at least pesticide free food, he was prepared to support me in trying it out.

I needed to adapt the basic B-type diet because of my Crohn's and I do not stick to it religiously, especially if that is going to cause difficulty for anyone else, but I have been on it now for some 12 years. I am completely medication free and have been since I came off the prednisolone that I was on before the final op.

This is often criticised as though it were a slimming "diet"; it is not this, although you might find that your weight decreases (or increases if that is more desirable) as a side effect.

I am happy to answer any questions about the Blood Type Diet, but not to get into a debate about its "rightness" or "wrongness". All the diets mentioned have their critics. Interestingly, as hugh mentions, the O-type diet is very similar to the Paleo diet.