• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood work results..

I asked my doctor to check my folate, Vitamin D and B12 levels at my last appt and he said he *normally* waits a year (I have no idea why) but because I was having numbness in my toe that I was hoping could have been related to low B12 he said he would go ahead and request the bloodwork.

I called them this past Tuesday, two weeks after I had my blood drawn and asked for the results. They told me they would have my doctor review it and call me back. Well, they just called back about 10 min ago and said that my Vit D was low and he recommends I take 5,000 to suppliment.

I know a lot of you guys say to get the actual numbers but I didn't because to be honest, I had woken up 5 minutes before they called and was in the middle of getting my kids breakfast. Should I call back and get all the numbers? How does that work? Do they print it out and like mail it to me or do they just give me the numbers over the phone?

Thank you!

I would get a copy of the bloodwork. My doctor almost always gives me a copy. It might be a good idea to have them check methylmalonic and homocysteine levels if they haven't already done so. Yeah, I don't know why they wait a year either because you can have a borderline deficiency before you ever have severe symptoms. I think its better to get it taken care of ASAP.

Hope this helps!:)