• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood!

Sorry for being so graphic but im at a lost end here. I have just started passing a lot of blood in the last two days. Has happened before but not this bad. Has anyone experienced this? What are my options?

Have phoned my doc and am waiting for him to get back to me but am slightly nervous.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, Lamp -- Yes, been there. Freaky, eh? Afraid I don't know about options -- I was advised that it could happen, so I just rode it out and switched to Ensure to try to keep my stomach happy, and things got better after a few days. However, I'm glad you are checking in with your doctor as it sounds like you are losing quite a bit of blood. Good luck!

Yes that is pretty scary, I remember looking in the toilet and freaking out. I actually fasted with solid foods for a couple days and went to things like Gatorade and shakes for a few days and it went away.

Silvermoon

What is "alot"? Can you estimate how much would be in each movement? How often? Is there still stool in it? Does it smell different? Is it really bright red?

Sorry about the questions.... the nurse in me coming out :blush:

You need to be clear to your doctor about how much you are passing. A lot of docs hear "blood in stool" and think..."yeah, you have CD, that's going to be normal"... so alot of times they brushed me off when I would phone and saying I was passing blood.

Until, one time, I was passing so much blood (about 1/2 a cup an hour) that I passed out. Hubby found me on the floor and had to take me to hospital, where they "medivac'ed" me to a larger hospital to be able to deal with it.

I don't mean to scare you, or be nosy. You don't even have to answer the questions here...lol. Just think about them and take them into account to help you decide if you need to see a doc NOW.

Hope it works out OK....