• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Body Temperature

Hi guys

I was wondering, is there anyone else out there with a low grade temperature all the time. My normal as of lately seems to be 37.3 or 37.4C. And I find this funny I am usually a very cold person.

PsychoJane

Are you experiencing a flare as of recently?
My normal range is 35,9-36,4 or about and a little higher for the second part of my cycle but rarely above 36,8. When I have a flare I often have small increase of my temperature let say along the line of constantly being between 36,8 and 37,3 or about.

Not as I know of yet,

I always thought normal body temperature was in he vicinity of 37.C. I never paid any attention to my body temperature before I had crohns so maybe this is my norm..
I think I may ask my Gi about this on my next visit.

I seem to get low grade fevers at least three times per week. They last for a little while and are sometimes accompanied by hot flashes or chills, and then go away.

nogutsnoglory

I had to use the Fahrenheit to Celsius calculator but in the U.S. we consider 37 Celsius to be the normal. Everyone varies a little but chronic low grade fever is a concern that you should get checked out.

"Low-grade fevers can occasionally accompany serious medical conditions. Seek immediate medical care for serious symptoms, such as irritability or inconsolability in children, confusion, decreased levels of consciousness, difficulty breathing, difficulty walking, severe pain, neck rigidity, seizure, blue coloration of the lips or nails, or rapid heart rate.

If your low-grade fever is persistent or causes you concern, if you have other symptoms of infection, a weakened immune system, or have chronic medical problems, seek prompt medical care."
http://www.localhealth.com/article/low-grade-fever

It's always better to be safe than sorry. I hope this resolves soon.

Thanks all.

I plan on asking my Gi or my family doctor next time, however I did speak to one of my friends who is a nurse at our local hospital and she said it can be normal at 37.3C as at the hospital they only consider a fever at 37.8C or 38 all depending. Everybodies norm can differ

food for thought

kiny

That's normal, I live in Europe where we use celcius too, and unless you have 38 degrees you don't really talk about "fever". It's just a bit hot, keep an eye on it. 38 celcius or above you can start talking about fever though, but 37, naw.

I have a similar issues. Mine usually show up in the evenings around 8pm or so. I'll just start feeling chilled, but my head is really hot. It happens when I have what I call a "bad day". It ranges from 99-101F (37.22-38.33C). I usually take some tylenol and it will eventually go away. I talked to my doctor about it and she said just to keep an eye on it and if it goes above 103F or won't go away with tylenol and/or lasts for more than three days to come in.

I just got officially diagnosed and we haven't got a treatment plan in place yet, so I'm currently not on anything more than a probiotic at the moment. So my guess is that it's just heating up my body when I'm having a really bad flare.

Hi

Everyone I had my apt with my family doctor for my B12 and I did mention about the Temperature and he said not too worry about it as 37.3 is nothing to talk about. He mentioned that individuals temperatures tend to fluctuate during the day, and to keep an eye on it.
Glad to know I am not the only one with weird temperatures.

nogutsnoglory

Glad your doctor is checking your B12, this is one vitamin Crohnie's need to keep an eye on. My temperature goes up significantly at night and I have had lots of weird numbers lately but have also been fighting an abscess.

HI Nogutsnoglory

My husband does not have IBD but does get abscess's in the anal region quite often, been operated on twice to fix the canal to no luck. Last time the doctor has prescribed him these red/black horse pills to help with the infection and it does clear it up right away. Has yours tried that lately

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

I'm imagining its an antibiotic. Do you know what it's called? I have had multiple surgeries and courses of antibiotics but have had no luck yet on my abscesses and fistulas.

i get low grade fever pretty frequently.
as as far as horse pills... i am an expert in this department: i am a horse trainer/ and barn manager and have worked as an equine vet tech. i have never come across a red/black pill for horses.:ylol2:

Lol Thanks Staloffin. You made me smile.

I did check the name of my husbands pill and they are called. TEVA-CLOXACILLIN 500MG. His doctor said its to kill all infections It worked pretty good for him last time. But I do remember the first time he had one, it was so bad it started to Ganger and when we were at the hospital the doctor had looked at it and first thing out of his mouth was - surgery he said to the nurse, Call the Surgeon immediately and he was in the OR a few hours later.
Hopefully Teva-cloxacillin can help you out as well.

i also get low grade temps, its like im hot and feel clammy. after a while it goes away. im also normally a cold person. that is i feel the cold more so than my b/f. so when i kick the rug off at night and he is freazing lets me know im fevering!