• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Boils

I just wanted to know if anyone else gets boils with crohn's i have had quite a few lately and i wasn't sure if it was related or not and they are very painful so i just wanted to know if anyone could relate.

I do! I used to have them all the time when my disease was out of control. Once it settled down from the Remicade, it stopped. I got them under my eyes, on my face and neck, one on my back...they freakin' hurt! Doctor would put me on antibiotics, both oral and topical. It helped alot, but until I stopped flaring, they kept popping up. Now I know when I see one to watch for other symptoms.

I have had them, although i was told it might have been because of my medication. I was on Cimzia and the thought was since I was on an an immune suppressant, it didn't allow my body to fight off the infection that caused them.

I had some on my butt and a huge one on my stomach. Then I got one on my eyebrow that put me in the hospital. It was so gnarly, I looked like Quasimodo!

Hope you get yours under control!

yes i have one on my eyebrow also and one on my cheek one on my back and all on my chest area and a huge one in my private area and they hurt not to the extreme that i can't take the pain just when ever you touch them it hurts. I thought they were zits at first but a lot of them don't turn white they are purple and under the skin and some get to be the size of almost a golf ball maybe a little smaller. So i guess i am not alone and feel a little better but i was wondering if i should tell my GI about this or my regular dr??

Yes! My eyebrows are plagued with these things because of the immunosupressant drugs. Ugh, painful things! Can't take antibiotics because my docs fear I'll get c.diff, so I'm basically stuck.

Antibiotics are the only thing that will get rid of them. I can't believe any doc wouldn't treat you out of fear of c.diff. It's an untreated infection, and that alone can aggrevate Crohn's.

There are antibiotics that are much less likely to cause c.diff, like Minocycline; plus if you take probiotics it lowers the chance of getting it.

I've had c.diff 3 times, but it was only after I had been on antibiotics for months with fistulas. You only need a short course for boils.

On the natural remedy front, I've taken Herpanacine which helps prevent reoccurence after you clear it up with antibiotics.